Thursday, May 19, 2011

L'Inspiration Part Deux

I love when I get to use my hard-earned French major! Yesterday we talked about Pinterest. Looking at pictures of rooms is a great way to focus on what you like and to define your style.

Another place I find inspiration is in fabric. When I saw this fabric:



I knew I had to have it in my home. I just didn't know where or what to do with it. No problem. I quickly ordered 2 yards and some coordinating fabric. I had no idea how much 2 yards could cover. That would take complicated math equations that only my 3rd-grader could calculate. Well, it was A LOT of fabric (oh, and I didn't know how to sew either!). I saw...I liked...I bought. We'll figure out what to do with it later! So, I pretty much ended up redesigning my whole living room and kitchen around this fabric.

I pulled out the trusty old sewing machine and figured out how to sew a valance for above my kitchen window. Finally replacing the burgundy and gold tasseled horror that was there before.

I recovered my piano bench, again replacing a blah burgundy and cream fabric. All it took was a staple gun. I also transformed the bench with some white spray paint. Should I try to repaint the piano? I'm a little scared to try.

I picked coordinating colors out of the inspiration fabric and ordered fabric in those colors and sewed some throw pillows. I just found some sewing tutorials on-line and figured it out. So easy!









Eh, voila! A bright, fresh living room.

Here are some other fabrics I like that could provide inspiration for other rooms:





















I know. This is kind of a crazy combo of fabrics. I would not use them all together. I'm just giving you some ideas!

I've found that fabric.com is the best place to shop for fabrics. www.fabric.com They have tons of home decor designer fabrics at a discount. Shipping is free if you spend over $35 and they have a generous return policy.

Happy fabric shopping! Au revoir...a demain.

No comments: