Wednesday, January 25, 2012

One Room Challenge: Week 2: Upholstered Headboard and Striped Curtains

It's time for another installment of the One Week Challenge, where I redo my daughter's room in six weeks. This is week two. Check out week one here.

My big project for this week was creating an upholstered headboard.  I love the look of an upholstered headboard and this was my first time making one of these.

Here's what it looks like:


In this photo, it's just propped against the wall.  I still need to attach it to the wall with flush mounts.  Before I do that though, I need to do a couple of tweaks.  The fabric is bunching around the curves a bit.  I need to remove the staples there and pull the fabric tighter before restapling and then trim the excess fabric.



I know you are going to laugh when you see me and my outfit.  I had just finished painting and I'm wearing my painting clothes/pj's. 

First, I started by drawing the shape of the headboard on some pieces of newspaper I taped together.  You could also do this on a large sheet of craft paper.  I didn't have any at the time, so the newspaper sufficed.  I taped the newspaper on the wall to make sure I liked the shape.  I  didn't love it at first.  I liked it much better after making a curved top.

Next, I traced the shape onto a piece of wood.  My husband then cut it out for me with a jigsaw.


Awesome outfit, right? Luckily these pics were taken with my phone, so you don't have to subjected to the full amount of ugliness!

In step three, I took some extra-thick batting and cutit  a little bigger than the wood.  Then I used spray adhesive to attach the batting.  I cut fabric to fit over the headboard.  I stapled the fabric and the batting to the back of the headboard, making sure it was pulled taut.

Voila!  Mary approves.

The headboard needs to be hung a little higher and the excess fabric trimmed, but this gives you an idea of what it will look like.  I also purchased this new bedding from Target.  I want to sew a couple of throw pillows to break up all of that pink.



What do you think of the orange polka dot fabric?  I ask because I wish it was a little brighter, more like the orange of the curtains.  I'm almost tempted to take the fabric off and start over with a brighter orange fabric.

Here's what I've done so far in the room:
Painted it pink.

Painted striped curtains.

Made a little piece of DIY art.

This is the point where I usually get stuck in a room.  I have furniture, curtains, and paint, but the accessorizing is tough for me.  So, this is what I have left to get the room finished:

 - make pillows
 - purchase a small bookcase/toy storage piece (thinking the Ikea Expedit for this)
 - art, probably some sort of gallery wall
 - paint her dresser
 - shop for a mirror

I'm sure I will think of some other things!

Be sure to check out some of the other bloggers to see how their rooms are coming together.

Dutch.British.Love
Trapped in North Jersey
Nicole Scott Designs
Kim Macumber Interiors
Rue de Emily
The Pink Pagoda
refresheddesigns
Nana Moon Shop
Taylor Morgan Design
Insideways
My Crafty Home Life
House Four
Living Savvy
(A Lifestyle Thing)

Linked here: http://www.serenitynowblog.com/

26 comments:

Linda {Calling it Home} said...

Suzy, it looks fantastic! I dress like that all the time...and go to the market while things are drying! Your daughter looks so happy. I have one suggestion. You could trim the outline of the headboard with a coordinating fabric or wide trim. Like the pinterest (I follow you) curtains that used the bedding fabric on the inside edge....just a thought.

Unknown said...

Suzy that is just darling! Love the shape...the room is really starting to come together and your daughter looks just delighted about it. I like My Crafty Home Life's idea...would be easy to do....
Cathy

Janet @ House Four said...

Suzy I love the headboard! The colours you've chosen are so much fun. Makes me wish I had a daughter :)
I actually like that the oranges in the two fabrics aren't identical. They work together well!
She looks thrilled with her new room and I giggled about your painting clothes because my guess is, all 15 of us looked like that at some point this week!

Kim said...

Fantastic! I LOVE the striped curtains ... such pizzazz!! And I don't mind the different oranges either, but love Linda's idea about a trim ... might be just the "lift" you are looking for!! Don't stop now ... you are on an excellent roll!!

Tiffany said...

You make tackling a diy headboard look so easy. I love the orange and pink combo. I was actually thinking about that for my daughter's room as well.

Tiffany @ {Living Savvy} said...

The headboard is great! I think it will all come together and you will have to get it done! Stick with it!

Lisa @ Shine Your Light said...

I LOVE the color combination in here Suzy! It's really coming together and I don't think the two different oranges is a big issue. And how CUTE is Mary??? What a sweetie.
fyi, we have to DIY covered headboards in our house and they've been recovered a bunch of times, and I've never taken off the existing fabric - just gone right over it, so if you even recover, that's one less thing you have to do!

Lauren@BaylorSays... said...

Wow, you did a GREAT job!! Loving the colors....your daughter must be super thrilled. :-)

Unknown said...

Great tutorial and the headboard turned out great! I'm making my headboard this weekend, so I am following your steps! :)

Katie said...

The headboard is looking great Suzy!! I love the fabric you chose! And let me say, I love your outfit too, because that's usually what I'm wearing when I'm crafting! LOL! We wouldn't want to mess up our "pretty" clothes now would we!!

Nicole said...

It's looking great, really nice job, I know how much work it is! I love the contrasting fabric or ribbon idea on the headboard and some mixed pattern pillows (back and front) will add the interest. Nice work this week, you've been busy!!

Cassie Bustamante said...

so far so good! it is looking fabulous!!!! what a fun room!

The Pink Pagoda said...

Oh my goodness Mary is adorable!! And so is her room! You are making fast progress and it looks GREAT!

Jennifer Bewerse said...

I'm so super impressed! I guess we're opposites - the big stuff is usually hard for me (finding the right furniture and curtains for an example) while the last stuff is more fun and easy. Can we trade strengths for a little while? ;)

Oh, the DIY art is perfection. I adore it!

Holly Gruszka said...

I think it's great and I wouldn't redo. It doesn't look that much lighter in the photos in my opinion. I really think the bedding is cute too! And Target? I'll have to keep that in mind. I think once you bring in a few pillows and get the storage/shelving and some baskets and the other items still outstanding you'll be good! It looks great so far - the curtains look really awesome. Mary must be thrilled!

Danylle McLain said...

What a GREAT headboard! I love the fabric and pink and orange color combination. Can't wait to see your finished room. I bet your little one is loving it!
~Danylle

A room with a view said...

I am loving the color combination a lot and am excited to see the finished room (no pressure). I think the headboard looks marvellous!

Emily said...

Suzy- I love seeing this room come together. i had a pink and orange room when I was growing up and it was so fun! I loved seeing Mary on the bed. I give you major props for making your own headboard. I did my daughter's headboard too and I will post about it soon...and don't worry about the outfit. Anyone into DIY has to look the part! :)

6th Grade said...

love that darn headboard with the drapes. and the heart art! so far, fabulous!

just keep swimming, just keep swimming.....

Lisa @ Lisa Moves said...

it looks great! I love the pink on the walls, too. You've accomplished so much!

Jadyn @ Dutch.British.Love said...

Wow I am so impressed with what you've accomplished already! The headboard looks great, I love the fabric!

Emily said...

Just found your blog. So cute. LOVE the hot pink headboard.

Good Time Charlie said...

What a great idea to do a one room challenge! I just found this while I was doing some blogging housekeeping via Primitive and Proper. Love it when I find something new. I linked up to your party and grabbed your button. You have an adorable blog. -K

Gwen @ The Bold Abode said...

I love the Orange and Pink together! And the polka dots! I like the color of fabric, but you can probably see it better in person. I say, go with your gut! Live with it for a while, and see if it grows on you. When you are all done accessorizing, then you can see if it's still bugging you. Either way, she's a lucky little girl!

Gwen @ The Bold Abode said...

P.S. I adore your DIY heart art!

Alex said...

That heart art is fantastic! I so need to try that.