Monday, August 8, 2011

The Cursed Table

Look at this table I found a few weeks ago at the Goodwill.


I had already taken her hardware off when I remembered to take a "before" shot.

She looks nice and cute, but don't let her looks fool you.  I think this piece of furniture was cursed.  Every time I tried to work on her, something bad happened.  I started working on her in the garage, but dog hair kept blowing all over the fresh paint.  Maybe this was a clue that it's time to sweep the garage.  So, I carried her out to the driveway to work.  It was a sweltering hot beautiful day with only one puffy white cloud in the sky.  I get back to work painting, and guess what? 

It starts to rain. 

Big fat drops. 

Where did this come from?  Grrrr.

Back to the garage.  Carrying a 100 pound table covered in wet paint is no fun.

I spray painted the table gray.  For some reason, I thought it would be a good idea to remove the door.  By now, it had stopped raining, so I took the door outside to spray paint.  Everything's looking good.  But, when I go back to check on the door.  It is all bubbled...it looks like the paint literally boiled on the door.  Ugh!!!

I sanded everything down and started over.



My original thought was to paint the raised panels cream to match the top and bottom.  This proved way too difficult, so I resprayed her gray.  Touched up the cream and gray and distressed her. Maybe she distressed me.  I sprayed the hardware Rustoleum oil rubbed bronze.

Oh, and when I was screwing the door back onto its hinges, I screwed two of the nails all of the way through the door.  What!?!?!  I've never done that before, and hopefully won't do it again.

After way too many hours of hard labor, here are the after shots:


I think the shape is adorable, but I'm not sure about the distressing.  Maybe I'll paint over it?!?!?  Or, maybe I should just let the cursed piece be and move on.

Linking up to some of these great sites:
Today's Creative Blog, Sugar Bee Crafts, Not Just a Housewife, Reasons to Skip the Housework, Bella Before and After, Primitive and Proper, Home Stories of A to Z, Savvy Southern Style, DIY by Design, Tip Junkie, Type A Decorating, http://sistersstuff.blogspot.com/, The Thrifty Home, Domestically Speaking, Primp,
A Diamond in the Stuff, Restore Interiors, The Shabby Chic Cottage, Somewhat Simple, Beyond the Picket Fence, Fireflies and Jellybeans,My Simple Home Life,
Addicted 2 Decorating, Just a Girl, Remodelaholic, Miss Mustard Seed, Finding Fabulous, Tatertots and Jello, Under the Table and Dreaming, Thrifty Decor Chick, Coastal Charm, Junker Newbie

8 comments:

Aubrey {All Things Bright and Beautiful} said...

The mystery of the cursed table...I like it, it's spooky (c: That table is worth all the effort though, that shape and bad-a hardware?!? I would paint it 10x if it ended up looking all amazing like that! Another piece of furniture saved by Suzy, you are like the furniture fairy godmother (c:

Unknown said...

IT TURNED OUT GREAT IN THE END SOMETIMES THINGS LIKE THAT HAPPEN. THEY HAPPEN TO ALL OF US.
LAUREN

Holly Gruszka said...

I think it's great and I also love the frame on top too. What a test!

Jill said...

LOL. I have the spray paint rain curse too! EVERY time I go outside to paint it rains, without fail! Your table turned out good though, but maybe you should sell it...just to be safe. :P I bet it'll be a toe-stubber!

SkinnyMeg said...

I'm having issues with spray paint too, apparently when it's 108 outside you can't use it :( So annoying! I love your table, the color and hardware looks great!

Jessamie {Bird and Branch Redesign} said...

You're a better lady than I am! And yeah, Megan is right, you can really use spray paint well if it's hotter than 92 degrees (or some # like that). Looks great though!!

Cassie Bustamante said...

it looks awesome! i love the shape of its top! i wish my top had curves like that. :)

Lora said...

I bought a table that's almost identical at my Goodwill. Mine took WAY to many coats of paint, but I pretty much like how it turned out. I love the color of yours!! Take a look at mine....

http://charmednblum.blogspot.com/2011/07/finally-post-and-some-furniture-re-dos.html