Saturday, March 3, 2012

March Project: The Neglected Niche

I have been loving the "Before & After" parties that Lisa at Shine Your Light hosts each month.  They give me motivation to finish projects I might not tackle otherwise.





Shine Your Light


I know you might be tired of seeing this little neesh (or do you say nitch?)  I know I'm a bit tired of staring at this gaping, sad space. 

It doesn't help that the console blends into the wall now that I've got new paint on the walls.

Here are my plans for this space.  Hopefully, I'll be able to complete them all in March!

First up is stenciling the walls of the niche, both above and below.  I've chosen this "Zamira" stencil from Cutting Edge Stencils.

I'm going to use a paint with a metallic finish, probably something silvery.

If you follow me on Pinterest, you might have noticed me pinning lots of living room ideas lately.  I'm thinking about adding shelving to the top niche to resemble a bookcase.  Here are a few ideas:




Source: houzz.com via Suzanne on Pinterest



Source: houzz.com via Suzanne on Pinterest

I'm also considering painting the console.  I'll have to see how it looks with the stenciled wall behind it.  I'm generally drawn to bright, bold colors and patterns.  However, lately I've found myself pinning more neutral rooms.  Isn't this pretty?



Or here's something more contemporary, yet still in a neutral palette:



My first thought would be to paint the console a bright coral, like this (but without the mirrors):


But, now I'm leaning towards gray:



Or maybe even white/cream (gasp!) like Emily A. Clark did here:

Here's the rundown:
1.  Stencil
2. Shelving - I'm not sure if this is beyond my skill level.  It might require checking in with my trusty handyman on pricing, etc.
3. Paint console.

Wish me luck!  It looks like I'm going to need it!  Good thing the "After" party isn't until March 30.

Of course, I'm always open to your ideas and suggestions.  You are always so helpful.

14 comments:

Ange said...

The stencil is going to be amazing! Quick question, what is in the console/dresser? Do you use it for anything?

Cassie Bustamante said...

oh i can't wait!!!! the stencil will be awesome! what color for the console? or did i miss that?

Lisa @ Shine Your Light said...

Great project!! I can't wait to see how it all comes together!! The wall color looks great in there already! And guess what - I just got the Zamira stencil too!!! I won it over at Oak Ridge Revival, and thought I might do the wall behind my bed in our master, but now I'm thinking curtains in the dining room? Okay, you go first and motivate me :)

Elizabeth @ The Little Black Door said...

Sounds wonderful! Can't wait to see it!!

Anonymous said...

Love that stencil! Can't wait to see what you come up with!

Homestyling101 said...

Thanks for sharing the Shine Your Light Link up- I might have to put a project up so I'll actually have to finish one! Can't wait to see the stencil.

Decor & Harmony said...

Chop! Chop! Get busy girl we all want to see this niche finished! I love the stencil, if I were doing it I would put a pop of color on the console. Have fun with your project.

Linda {Calling it Home} said...

Paint it gray. This will be a good before/after.

Holly Gruszka said...

Go Suzy! I admire your dedication and persistance with these projects. I'm hoping once spring comes around I'll be more motivated to finish my projects.

Tiffany @ {Living Savvy} said...

You could so hang shelves! I love your inspiration photos! I can't wait to see what you have planned!

charmaine said...

I used the zamira stencil in our main floor bath and I love it!

http://www.mybestfriendcraig.blogspot.com/2011/12/bathroom-redesign-reveal-take-two.html

Good luck to you! I'm sure it's going to look great!

suzyhomemaker said...

I just found your blog through primitive and proper and I had to check it out since we spell our names the same way.

I know it might be totally silly, but there are so few of us, I feel like I belong to an exclusive club.

Anyway I am glad i found your blog. I love all your decorating ideas. I am now a follower.

Meeha Meeha said...

The shelves in the top section are a brilliant idea! I love the current console color very much, though, it's cute, pale and not too matchy matchy.

Unknown said...

I really like all your ideas! it will look amazing. I vote for a gray console as well!