Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Christmas Mantle and Stockings

My mantle is pretty simple this year.  I love green, white and silver for Christmas decorating.  As always, I wanted to use what I had on hand.

I filled the lanterns with these glittery pinecones.  I love the silvery sparkle.

 My mom gave me these little angels.  I remember them sitting on our Christmas table with red candles as a child.

I wanted to incorporate greenery, so why not stick a Christmas cactus on the mantel? I'm allergic to many other plants, including pine.

If you are interested in this painting, you can read more about it here.

I have always received an orange in the toe of my Christmas stocking.  This is a tradition that I have continued with my children...they each get a big orange in their stockings.  I always assumed that every child received an orange, until I discovered that my husband and his family never did this tradition in their family.


I was never really sure why we got an orange.  I think my mom said that the tradition originated years ago when fresh fruit was scarce in winter, so it was a treat to receive an orange.  As my kids to get old enough to ask about this tradition, I thought I better do some homework to discover its origins.



The tradition dates back to the time of the real St. Nicholas in Turkey.  St. Nicholas heard three poor sisters complaining that they would be sold into slavery because their family did not have enough money to provide a dowry for them to marry.  The sisters hung their stockings up by the fire to dry before they went to bed.  In the morning, they found gold coins in their stockings.  It is said that St. Nicholas threw gold coins down the chimney and the gold landed in the stockings for the girls to find when the went to put their stockings on in the morning.  Today, oranges symbolize the gold.

Check out these cute printable labels that be added to the oranges:


Linking here:
Ten June as part of the Bringing Christmas Cheer to the Blogosphere.
Home Stories A to Z





The Mustard Ceiling



11 comments:

Cassie Bustamante said...

it looks so happy and cheerful! and of course i love those glittered pine cones!

A Vintage Vine said...

Great mantel...The green ornaments are wonderful mixed in with the silver! I used what I had on hand too...like minds!! Great job!

Mandy@OrangeAutumn said...

Gorgeous picture above your mantle!! I love the sparkly pine cones too, it adds the perfect Christmasy touch! I'm a new follower, congrats your almost at 200!

A room with a view said...

It looks great, Suzy, and is so meaningful with angels you grew up with and the story about the oranges sounds probable. I do like all the silver accents, too. I have to take a closer look at that amazing painting as well.

Decor & Harmony said...

I love the bling :) Your mantel looks great Suzy!

Unknown said...

Love the green and silver! very neat!

Holly Gruszka said...

It's beautiful Suzy! What is that cool object on the far left? I love the lanterns filled with pine cones. We also got oranges in the toe of our stockings growing up and we just got the story on the tradition a few years ago from my Mom. We will continue with Sheila as well.

Lisa @ Shine Your Light said...

Happy, homey and twinkly - such a pretty Christmas mantle, Suzy!

Jessa said...

We always had an Orange in the toe too, and I never thought to research it, so interesting. Thanks for sharing the link to the printable, I will be using it! and I love those sparkely pinecones. So pretty. Thanks for linking, sharing this :)

Unknown said...

I got an orange too! My husband thought it was weird last year when I put an orange in his stocking. I also has assumed everyone got an orange.

Thanks for the meaning behind it! I had never thought about looking it up.

elizabeth@themustardceiling said...

Your mantel looks beautiful Suzy. I love the lanterns with the glittery pinecones.

I remember briefly hearing that there was a tradition where stockings were stuffed with an orange, but I did not know the story behind it. Thank you for sharing!