Tuesday, June 21, 2011

To Paint or Not to Paint (a Piano)?!?!?

I have been contemplating painting my piano for a while now.  I'm just too scared that I will ruin the piano and that it may end up looking like this:



I'm in Minnesota visiting my family and they currently have a program called  "Pianos on Parade" going on.  Local artists have painted 20 pianos and placed them around town in public places for people to go up to and play whenever they want.  Kind of a cool idea!  It has also brought the idea of painting my piano to the forefront of my mind again.

Here are a few of my favorites of the pianos on parade:













Sorry I don't know how to resize the pics to make them larger.

While these pianos are pretty, I'm thinking more of a solid color for my home.  Here are some pictures for inspiration:




This turquoise is so pretty and I love the plates displayed above it.




This one is done in chalkboard paint:



This blue is so pretty:



Modern monochromatic:



Since I'm a little nervous about this project and not ready to commit to a really bold color, this is probably what I'm going for...a white or ivory color. 

.

I've already painted and reupholstered the bench.  Is the piano next?


Would you paint your piano? If so, do you have any tips or tricks to share?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh wow! I love the turquoise and slate gray. However, after seeing your pretty piano bench, I agree with you that a white or ivory color would be so lovely.

BluBabesCreate said...

Come see my red painted piano! And how I did it. I didn't put any glaze on it. The thing turned out beautiful.

outjunking said...

I don't know why but I never thought about painting a piano. But it looks like it will be grand... no pun intended.
Lisa

J Thax said...

What a fun idea! Paint it!! And then someday, when I get my parents old piano, you can help me paint ours! Love this idea.

Lisa @ Lisa Moves said...

oh! Paint it a bright color! Bright! Something in the kiki pinata fabric covering the piano bench. Come on, do it! ;-)

My mother in law has a tomato red piano, and its quite fabulous.