I posted my 2012 goals earlier this month, but when I saw that one of my favorite bloggers, The Nester, was hosting a Home Goals link party, I decided to play along. While my home is far from perfect, I love it and I love to spend time working on it. My hope is that by writing down these goals, I will have something to work towards and to check back on as the year goes by.
I think my mantra, buzz word, theme, whatever-you-want-to-call-it for 2012 is:
ORGANIZEDI wish I opened the doors onto the "hidden spaces" of my home and they looked something like this.
Unfortunately, they look the exact opposite of that lovely picture. I'm pretty good at keeping the main areas of my home somewhat neat, but anything behind closed doors is usually a complete disaster.
Don't believe me? Here are some of my problem areas. I can't believe I'm sharing my dirty little secrets!
The Linen/Toy Closet
The Laundry/Mud/Junk/Dog Food Room
Oh my goodness! Those areas looks even worse in photos...yikes! As my life gets busier and busier, the only way that I can stay sane is to be organized. First, I want to purge these areas and then come up with an organizational system to help me keep the areas tidy. I definitely want to make labels for things so that everything has a place and everyone knows where that place is.
Beyond organizing, there are a few unfinished projects that need finishing up. Let's go room by room.
Last year, the two oldest girls decided they no longer wanted to share a bedroom, so we converted our office into a bedroom for Chloe. This room remains half-finished half-a-year later.
- Finish curtains
- Find a rug
- Kayla wants a loft bed to free up some floor space in her room. We will probably purchase this for her birthday in July.
- Looks like I have some curtains that need to be finished here too!
- Paint room.
- Find some wall decor/art.
- Convert from baby room to big-girl room.
- I will have lots more to share on this transformation next week!
- Finish painting living room Benjamin Moore Gray Owl that I started in the entry.
- Repaint all trim white.
- Purchase large jute rug.
- I work from home. Currently my "workspace" is a table shoved in the living room. I need to create a better work space for myself. This includes purchasing an Expedit bookcase from Ikea where I can keep my files and office supplies easily accessible and organized (there's that word again!).
- Hide TV components.
- Put some pretty accessories on the TV stand.
- The niche is a constant sore spot. Find pretty fabric to cover painting or repaint. Accessorize this area.
- Paint door black and repaint white trim.
- Paint walls Gray Owl.
- Table runner.
- Art flanking mirror.
- Roman shades on French doors.
- Continue painting walls Gray Owl.
I'm not ready to show this room! The master bedroom has suffered since we had to move our office into this room. It seems cramped, cluttered and just messy! It is definitely the "dumping ground" of my home. If I need to hide something, I just throw it in our bedroom. My husband is in sales and doesn't have a real office to go to, so his work stuff ends up in the bedroom too.
- Decluttering is a must in here!
- Window treatments.
- Decorate wall above bed.
- New bedding.
- Replace carpet with wood floors (depending on budget).
- Paint side of vanity (actually repaint b/c I didn't sand well enough initially and the paint peeled off...oops!).
- Install knobs on drawers.
Linked to: The Nesting Place 2012 Home Goals Link Party