Wednesday, June 6, 2012

A House in Aspen

Not really Aspen, but in Woody Creek to be exact.  Woody Creek is about 10 minutes from Aspen and is best known for Hunter S. Thompson and the Woody Creek Tavern.  That being said, you won't find cookie-cutter suburbia in Woody Creek, but you will find unique homes and some special people who are lucky enough to live there.

Here's Susan and her boys.  I didn't get a picture of Richard.

Our friends Richard and Susan and their two sons happen to live in Woody Creek. We were guests in their home a few weekends ago. Whenever we visit, I'm always blown away by their house. It's not huge by Aspen standards, but they did a great job designing a house that is stylish and works well for their family. They are world travelers, so the house has a modern global feel to it, but at the same time it's still mountain-y. Does that make any sense? Maybe I should just show you some pictures.

This is their house from the back.  The backyard is visited by all kinds of wildlife, including elk herds, deer, and bears.  A snake even managed to make it onto the kitchen counter once!

Here's their house from the front.

Walk in through this front door that Susan designed.




And into the open living room.

Another view of the living room, looking in from the kitchen.

Speaking of kitchens, here it is.




Here's the guest room, where we got to stay.

I kind of never wanted to leave!


And the guest bathroom.

Here's the powder room.

When I saw this dresser in one of the boy's rooms, I had to sneak a picture.  Fun colors + Stripes = Love!

I also spent a lot of time enjoying the backyard with Mary, where I snapped a few more pictures.

It's the perfect place to grab a lounge chair.

And enjoy the view!

If you are in the market for a house in Woody Creek, lucky you!!!! This house is for sale as Richard and Susan get ready to embark on their next adventure. 

I feel so lucky to have friends like Susan and Richard.  Not only are they some of the most fun and interesting people I know, they are also the kind of people who make me feel happy and positive about life.  I'm always happier after I've spent time with them than before.

See how happy we all look?!?!?


6 comments:

Lisa @ Shine Your Light said...

That home is gorgeous!! What a beautiful area. And how lovely to have friends that lift you up. Reminds me of one of my fave quotes…"Let no one ever come to you without leaving better and happier" :)

Tiffany said...

That home and surrounding are gorgeous. Snake on the counter not so much.

Maury @ Life on Mars said...

Such a cool house! If that's not big for Aspen standards, then they have some seriously huge expectations!

What a beautiful area!

Cassie Bustamante said...

what a gorgeous home! lucky you to stay there!

Ange said...

Wow!!! That house is pretty sweet but the view is the most amazing! How fun that you get to hang out there and visit your friends. They sound like wonderful people with excellent taste, in home design and in friends!

Holly Gruszka said...

Your friend's house is really nice - I can definitely see how they've expressed their love for travel in their decor. I also love that it has a unique look to it but still their own and harmonious. Thanks for sharing Suzy and hope you and your family are safe out there.