Monday, June 25, 2012

New Paint in the Kitchen



Last Wednesday was a long day.  Big K was out of town for work.  I had been busy shuttling the kids around and entertaining them at home.  I was looking forward to relaxing in the evening.  Instead, as I was making dinner, I decided it would be a good idea to pull out a can of paint and start painting the kitchen.  I can multitask - cook dinner and paint at the same time - no problem!  Don't ask why I thought this was a good idea because I'm not really sure.  I was questioning my decision as 10:00 rolled around and I really wanted to be in bed with a book rather than in the kitchen with a paint brush.


I used Benjamin Moore Gray Owl to cover up the sandy brown that was throughout my house.


In this light the paint reads light blue, but it really is a light gray.  It's much lighter than the dingy brown that was in there.


I'm thinking about changing the curtain above the sink to something a little more subdued or neutral.  I've had this one for about a year.  How often do you change your decor?


As you can see, I don't have a lot of decor in the kitchen.  I like to keep the counters uncluttered...until they inevitably become overflowing with papers, magazines, etc.  I used to have a bunch of stuff on top of the cabinets, but it started to look dusty and cluttered to me, so I took most of it down.


I like this Mexican pottery that my utensils are in.  I got in on one of my first trips to Mexico with Andy.

Now, I'm obsessed with painting my cabinets white and/or gray.  I'm a bit intimidated by the project though, especially since my cabinets are in good condition.  I'm afraid I might ruin them.

I would also like to add a tile backsplash.  One of these days all of my projects will be done!  Then it will be time to start over.


Aren't these lilies pretty?  I have a bunch of them blooming right now.  I will have a little tutorial for you later this week on how I painted the vase too.

12 comments:

Carol-Anne (Use the Good Dishes!) said...

Love this idea of painting your kitchen when you really should be in bed! EXACTLY something I'd do! (the colour looks great!) I would NOT change that curtain, because I love that one....although I change things monthly around my house!

Lisa at Shine Your Light said...

That is something I would do too! The light grey looks great in there, and I love that pop of color from the curtain! But I totally get ya on wanting to change it up….I grow tired of patterns over time….but that fabric is really fun and has so many great colors to pull from!

Cassie @ Primitive & Proper said...

love the light gray! and i am with lisa- the curtain really pops now!

Starr @ The Kiefer Cottage said...

I love the curtain too.

As for painting, it is ALWAYS an impulsive thing for me. My husband came home last week to a fully primed sun porch (that's covered in dark wood paneling) despite the fact it's hot as hades here and I shouldn't be out in the heat for hours at a time. It usually pays off, though. Your kitchen looks great!

Jean @ Flower Hill said...

I love the colorful curtain! But, I can understand wanting to change things! I do it often!

Maury Kilgo said...

I love the new color! So fresh and pretty. You're a super woman. I dont think I would have attempted a major project like that with the hubs out of town and having to take care of kids. I really like the curtain over the sink but there's no harm in changing things up!

The Bold Abode said...

I love the color, Suzy! Painting cabs are on my list, but I'm wavering b/c they are so new and beautiful... I just like a white kitchen so much!

Elizabeth @ The Little Black Door said...

Love the light gray!! And that fabric is great!

Shelley {Crazy Wonderful} said...

Ahhhahaha!!! That is so something I would do. Actually, I just did it about an hour ago - while holding the phone to my ear with my shoulder, trying to keep my daughter from attacking the dog, I decided to try a sample spot of paint in the living room. We're women, we're masters of multi-tasking :) Love how the gray turned out in there. I'll have to check out that paint color as well. And if you're wanting o paint the cabinets you totally should give it a go! If you go through the process of sanding, priming, and then painting you can't go wrong.

Lisa @ Trapped In North Jersey said...

hahaha....I don't like to spend too much on decor, since I change it so frequently. I'd say six months or so...longest something has lasted has been two years.

I love the Robert Allan fabric, I'm debating using it to reupholster some chairs.

the paint looks lovely!

Holly said...

I'm going to go out on a limb and say change up the curtain fabric if you're feeling a change. And if you're thinking about painting the cabinets, maybe just get a quote from someone to see how much they would charge and then I know you'll probably be motivated to do it. Somehow you find your superhuman powers to do your painting projects which I'm so impressed with, so I know you'd do a great job on your cabinets. But, they are nice cabinets so I would live with them longer. Maybe add a new curtain fabric and a rug and see what you think - could be the small change you need.

Mathew Bergeron said...

Awesome looking kitchen! Kudos to you for doing a great job! How’s the kitchen now, by the way? Remember to immediately clean spills to prevent them from leaving permanent stains.

- Mathew Bergeron -