Sunday, April 8, 2012

Book Recommendations....and Las Vegas?!?!?!?

I've read a string of good books recently and the latest was no exception. 


The blurb on the cover says that this book will "delight fans of Downton Abbey."  Since I've been in Downton Abbey doldrums waiting for the next series to start sometime next year, I picked up this book.

It featured the same sort of upstairs/downstairs drama in an English manor house that's in Downton.  The main difference is that The House at Tyneford takes place during WWII, while Downton's most recent season was during WWI.

Elise Landau is an Austrian Jew whose parents send her to work in England on a domestic servant visa in the days prior to WWII.  Elise is a from a high-brow Viennese family so she doesn't fit in with the servants with whom she works at Tyneford, nor does she mingle with the upper-class family and their guests.  The story follows Elise through the war.

I'm in need of another good book.  Big K and I are heading to Las Vegas sans kids later this week. 


This is only our second trip without the kids.  I'm really excited, but I've also been a nervous wreck.  Mary's preschool teacher and her college-age daughter are staying with the kids, so everything should be fine, but I'm such a worrier that I even considered cancelling the trip last week.




We're staying at the Wynn and we've stayed there once before.  The decor can only be described as totally over-the-top luxury.  I'll be sure to take more photos while I'm there, but this gives you an idea of what it's like.


The flowers and floor mosaics are gorgeous.



It's just a teeny-tiny bit different than my cluttered, dog-fur covered bedroom at home.


I don't know how I'm going to put on my bathing suit after spending time at this buffet.



Speaking of bathing suits, I intend to spend most of my time lounging by the pool with a good book.  So if you have a "must read," let me know!

We're also going to see this show, called La Reve.  It reminds me of "O" by Cirque du Soleil, which was amazing.


If I'm feeling lucky, I might even play a game of black jack!

Let me know if you have any other Vegas things that we should see, do, or eat!

9 comments:

Unknown said...

This book is going on my list as we speak, looks good! Enjoy your time away in Vegas, it is always good to recharge without kids. Sounds like they will be in good hands (but totally understand your jitters)!!!!
Cathy

Unknown said...

Have a wonderful time Suzy. The Wynn looks amazing! soak up the ME time, you deserve it!
Nancy
Powellbrowerhome.com

Lisa @ Shine Your Light said...

Suzy that trip sounds amazing and don't you dare think about cancelling it!! You two need a getaway - it's so good for a marriage to have time together without the beloved kiddos! Thanks for the book recommendation too!

Ange said...

I will be putting that book on my goodreads shelf. Thanks for recommending it. I will be praying for you this week, I totally understand the worrying but really you should go on the trip, you will have fun and you both need to get away for your marriage! Your kids and you will both benefit from this. Looking forward to hearing about your trip!

Maury @ Life on Mars said...

yay! Your trip is going to be sooo fun! I can't wait to hear all about it!

Holly Gruszka said...

How wonderful - I'm so excited for you and your hubby - you are going to have a great time. My husband and I went went to Vegas when I was about 17 weeks pregnant with Sheila (Vegas trip was already planned way in advance) but I still had a great time. We were in a cab when the water show was going on at the Bellagio but that certainly looked like something to see. There are so many wonderful restaurants too. We stayed at Mandalay Bay which I'm pretty sure is at the other end of the strip from the Wynn. Get excited, but I can certainly understand the nerves too. We really want to do a trip by ourselves but I'm so jittery to leave Sheila.

Tiffany said...

I don't have any book recommendations at the moment, but have a fabulous time on your vacation. It sounds like so much fun!

Linda {Calling it Home} said...

You will have a great time. We went last year without the kids...and everyone was just fine.

The Bold Abode said...

Oh, MY WORD... no kids??? Sounds like a FREAKIn' Dream!!! DO NOt CANCEL... they will be fine!!!!