Thursday, April 12, 2012

Spring Into Action: Week 2


I made it to the second week of the Spring Into Action Challenge!  Last week we all revealed our projects.  I chose to finally finish building shelves in this niche and to do something with the stencil.  Click here to see Week 1 if you missed it.


This week I painted over the stencil.  I used Benjamin Moore's Stunning, which is a deep navy blue.  I love it!


Once the paint was up, I worked on building the shelves.  First I measured the space and how big the pieces of wood needed to be.  I ran over to Home Depot, where my favorite employee, Dennis, cut a sheet of plywood into all of the little pieces I needed.  He also cut pieces of trim for the edges of the shelves too.   I LOVE how they will cut the wood for you.  After my little incident with the hedge trimmers and stitches, I don't want to touch a saw ever again!

I brought my pieces of wood home and painted everything glossy white.  Then I fit the pieces together in the niche.  Everything fit together so snugly, no supports were needed to hold up the shelf.

The hardest part was trying to get everything square.  It took mutiple trips up the ladder, banging the pieces into place with a mallet, climbing down to eyeball it, and then climbing back up to hammer some more.
Yes, I am a total dork.
Once I got the pieces in place, I used wood glue to glue on the trim.

I used caulk around all of the edges, painted the trim, and touched up the navy.
I still have to paint the upper wall.  I'm going to need to join another challenge to get that done!
Now, I have the most difficult part left...styling those bad boys!  Come back next week for the big reveal.

I won't be getting any work done for the next few days because we're celebrating Big K's birthday in Vegas.  Today is his actual birthday.   Happy Birthday to the best husband and father EVER! 
This was last weekend when he took us on a hike to see wild ponies.  We ended up seeing 8 wild mustangs.  It was so cool!!!

See you next week!

Check out what my fellow Spring Into Action challengers have been up to this week.
Tiffany – Living Savvy
Cathy – Room Rx
Carrie – Hazardous Design

21 comments:

Linda {Calling it Home} said...

Do you really dress like that when you are working? The shelves came out great! My Home Depot is not as "talented" as yours...the cuts are quite rough, and often off by a 1/4 or an inch or so. Viva Las Vegas!

Unknown said...

I'm with Linda, you are one stylin' girl, even while working! The shelves are coming along beautifully, now go and enjoy your week-end away!

Laurie said...

Awesome work! Love the blue. Have fun in Vegas.

Maury @ Life on Mars said...

This is looking so good! I'm so glad you decided to put shelves in there. I think it looks perfect for that space.

Have fun in Vegas and happy birthday to your hubby!

Anonymous said...

Looking good! Love that navy blue!

Unknown said...

I love that blue! You did a lot of work so far! good job.
Have fun in Vegas.
Nancy
Powellbrowerhome.com

Crazy Wonderful said...

What a great idea for shelves up there! They look awesome, and that navy is just what its name says. Have fun in Vegas baby!!!

Katie said...

This looks awesome Suzy!! I love the shelves you put in! Great job! Enjoy Vegas!!

Ange said...

Happy Birthday to your hubby! Have a fabulous time in Vegas! :) The navy wall is gorgeous and way to go, the shelves look awesome there! The lamp looks good there too, it's all coming together!

A room with a view said...

This is looking amazing, Suzy, and with the lights on it is more so. Cannot wait to see the styled shelves. Happy birthday to your husband! Enjoy your trip. Wild mustangs - very cool!

Kerry Steele- Design du Monde said...

The color is really marvelous and this is a project more ambitious than I would tackle. Good Luck!

Tiffany said...

That color looks amazing! Are you wearing a blazer? I need to post a picture of myself working. I usually look like something that got dragged off the street-Ha!

charmaine said...

I love that shade of blue!

Lisa @ Shine Your Light said...

Oh Suzy the niche looks great in navy! Hope you are off having so much fun on your weekend away! Enjoy!!!

Sam | Away She Went said...

Wow! You've made really good progress! I love the navy and white combo!

Google said...

Get colors! Were the three light in the arch already there?

Thanks,
Jane

Elizabeth @ The Little Black Door said...

Looks great. I love the blue!

Tiffany @ {Living Savvy} said...

I love the shelves and the color! VEGAS BABY! My favorite place is the piano bar at New York New York! Have fun!

Vaughan Homes for Sale said...

I love the idea behind this challenge and look forward to seeing how you incorporate it so many options!

The Bold Abode said...

Oh, Suzy! It's amazing, girl!! I LOVE the Navy!! And, dang...aren't you SO cute on that ladder!!!

Unknown said...

Way to go girl - that looks so great! Hope you had a great time in Vegas!