Thursday, April 5, 2012

Challenge: Spring Into Action!

I might be crazy, but I'm participating in another challenge.  I love these challenges because they give me motivation to finish projects that I have lingering around the house.

As you might remember, I have a project from March that didn't go quite as planned.

I tried to stencil this area and build a shelf.  This is as far as I got.

For my Spring Into Action project, I intend to repaint this niche, finish building the shelves, and maybe even do a few DIY projects to style the shelves.

Back in March, I contacted a friend who is a handyman to see how much he would charge to build the shelving.  He quoted us $400, but as soon as he said "You can totally do this yourself," I politely ushered him out the door and pulled out my measuring tape. 

I found this tutorial from Vintage Revivals that doesn't look too tricky and that I actually started on in the photo above.
courtesy of Vintage Revivals
Best of all, the shelving pictured only cost $30 to build!

I like the look of bookshelves with a colored back, similar to these:


Hmmm, that navy might fit in nicely with the Color My World Challenge (the other challenge I'm participating in right now)!



This series will run for the next two Thursdays.  Next week we will be sharing progress on our projects.  The week after that will be the big reveal of the (hopefully) completed project.

This little challenge was dreamed up by the creative Linda of My Crafty Home Life.  There are lots of other great bloggers participating in the challenge.  I'm looking forward to checking out their blogs to see what projects they are tackling over the next few weeks. 

Here are the participants:

Tiffany – Living Savvy
Cathy – Room Rx
Carrie – Hazardous Design

18 comments:

Linda {Calling it Home} said...

You are totally capable of DIY-ing this! Save yourself, Suzy. How cleaver are you to (maybe) incorporate your other challenge.

A room with a view said...

The shelves are going to look amazing, Suzy! Look forward to seeing your progress and completed project.

Anonymous said...

Looks like a good project! How will you be painting it?

Linda {Calling it Home} said...

OOPs I spelled clever wrong!

Unknown said...

Great project, and sorry the stenciling didn't work out...it was a good idea though! I would had thought it would work, too. But the painted background and shelves will be great. Good luck Suzy!
Nancy
Powellbrowerhome.com

Maury @ Life on Mars said...

Can't wait to see how this turns out! I love the shelving idea!

Cassie Bustamante said...

i can't wait to see this! i plan to build some shelving for our living room under the windows... one day. i know if i out my mind to it i can do it. right?

Tiffany @ {Living Savvy} said...

This is perfect! You have been wanting to do this for a while! Love the idea of navy backing!

charmaine said...

Too bad about the stencil. Can't wait! Good luck!

tubilinha tiacarminha said...

Tem coisas que só JESUS na causa...vá em frente.

From G2B said...

Oh so fun! And very ambitious! I'm excited to see how it turns out! I love the shelves from VR!!
xo Becca

Sam | Away She Went said...

I bet you'll be glad when that niche is done! I can't wait to see it painted and the shelves finished. Too bad the stencil didn't work out...I've never tried stenciling, but it seems difficult!

Elizabeth @ The Little Black Door said...

You can do it!! Can't wait to see how it turns out!

Carrie @ Hazardous Design said...

Brilliant idea. Now you've gotten me thinking about painting the backs of my shelves...

Unknown said...

I love the the contractor said you could totally do it yourself, he must know you well! This is going to be fabulous!

Holly Gruszka said...

Can't wait to see! And seriously, how do you do it??!! Can you come finish my projects? I need a motivator.

Lisa @ Shine Your Light said...

How fun Suzy!! I can't wait to see how your niche comes out!

Tiffany said...

Ah, the dreaded niche. You are so ambitious. Two challenges at once? Can't wait to see how it turns out!