Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Artist-Designed Wallpapers

I know I've posted about my sister Gina who lives in New York.  She attended Parsons School of Design and the Fashion Institute of Technology and she is an amazing seamstress, crocheter, quilter, etc.

I haven't mentioned my other sibling, Mike, very much on the blog.  I know that he does some sort of graphic design, but I recently visited his company's website and was blown away by the work they do.  Their largest client is the Limited brands and they do everything from custom tile mosaics to store facades to wallpaper design.  Mike works in wallpaper design and he recently developed a new wallpaper pattern that will be going into Bath & Body Works stores.

The company, Apropos Studio, is based in Minneapolis.  I really had no idea what Mike and Apropos did until I visited the website.

They created the aged-looking ceiling tiles, polka dotted wallpaper and some other things for the Pink store in Soho.


Here's a window for Henri Bendel in NYC:

A display for BCBG:




 Appropos just launched a new subsidiary called "Area Environments."  Area produces artist-designed wallpapers.  This is from their website:
 
Area's hand-picked, international rotation of artists produce unique collections that reach the core of relevant style and design, which in turn strengthens and enlivens the perception of your brand or project. From the hottest street artists to emerging fine artists and everything in between, Area's one-of-a-kind designs encompass and innovate the modern environment.
 
I thought I would share a few of my favorite wallpapers currently available at Area.
 




 





I'm excited to see the next group of artists.  What do you think?  Would you ever put this type of wallpaper in your home?

So I have a sister who was in fashion, a graphic designer brother, and I went to law school.  Doesn't quite make sense that I'm the one who ended up with a design blog!

6 comments:

Maury @ Life on Mars said...

Wow... beautiful. Those wallpapers are stunning and they really look like you had an artist come in and paint on your wall. Oh and what a cool job?

Lisa @ Shine Your Light said...

That is funny - you must all have a creative gene! And who says an attorney can't also love design?? You are obviously gifted in more than one way!
Love these cool wallpapers - the zebra one - how cool would that be in a tiny powder room?
These make me wish I had another house to decorate!

Aubrey {All Things Bright and Beautiful} said...

That is totally amazing...all of it! Your bro has an uber cool job! And those wallpapers are *stunning*...still laughing about that last line there...ah, if only the world made sense, right? (c;

AK said...

Yea for right brainiacs!!! Design in the conceptual age. Thanks Suzy love it.

web design Bangalore said...

the wallpapers are looking great, even though they are simple, they looks great. internet marketing company bangalore

Gwen @ The Bold Abode said...

Those are amazing! But that design gene must run deep in your blood, too...

How cool that your sister went to Parsons... In my next life. yo.