Thursday, March 22, 2012

The Bedroom

I think my bedroom is probably the most neglected room in the house, which might explain why I've never shown you pictures of it.   Well here it is:


Yes, that would be a gigantic wedding picture circa 1999.

And a pair of mismatched lamp shades:

Big K likes to read children's books before bed....to the three year old who always ends up in our room.

That was one of my first DIY projects - wrapping a lampshade in jute twine.

Just this morning, I decided to see what small changes I could make using things I have around the house.  Coral and gray is a new favorite color palette, so I wanted to incorporate those colors.

I replaced the wedding picture with this sunburst mirror I purchased at Home Depot several weeks ago.  If you're looking for a mirror this one was a bargain at $35.

The lamps got some new lampshades.  I got these at Target on clearance plus it was buy one, get one 50%.

The lamps needed something else, so I decided to paint them.  When painting lamps, I protect the top by tightly wrapping it in tinfoil.

I wrap the cord in tape and then place the remainder of the cord in plastic grocery bags.
Here's the lamp painted with Krylon's Coral Isle spray paint.



I flipped the quilt to the white side, put on some different shams, and moved pillows from the living room to the bed.


It's not perfect, but it's a start.  It's also fun to try to reuse things I already have...OR have gotten for free!  I got a quart of free paint at Ace Hardware.  They are giving away free quarts every Saturday in March.  This is the color I'll be painting my room.


Update: I stopped at the thrift store this evening and found a pair of lamps that I'm going to replace my little stick lamps with.  Don't worry, I'm still going to spray paint them coral.  I'll post pics when I'm done.

14 comments:

Cassie Bustamante said...

i love the color you are bringing in there with the coral! even if those lamps aren't the winners, the color sure is!

The Pink Pagoda said...

Wow! You don't even need a one room challenge to make it happen! Beautiful job!

Linda {Calling it Home} said...

That was a fast one. Great job. I am frustrated with my bedroom, too.I am replacing my swing arm sconces...if having wiring done at your home is something you would consider, I would love to give them to you.

Jessamie {Bird and Branch Redesign} said...

That spray paint color on your lamps is awesome! And I just found out about that mirror today...I might have to purchase my first sunburst!

Ange said...

Oh you know I love coral! Great choice with gray. Excited to see the new lamps. Way to shop your home and use what you have. I have the same sunburst mirror (of course because we are twins) and are you in love with it? It makes me smile everytime I see it.

A room with a view said...

The coral and grey look really good on the lamps. I do not have a sunburst mirror. I like what you have picked up at HD. It is amazing how different a room can look with just a change of pillows (and the mirror).

Decor & Harmony said...

It's coming together Suzy :) I really like the pillow in the center of the bed - nice touch "wink." I can't wait to see the end result!

Holly Gruszka said...

Look what you did by just switching up a few things - fabulous my friend! The mirror and the pillows give the room a completely differnet look. And your bedroom is nothing to be ashamed of either - it's so pretty with lots of natural light.

The Bold Abode said...

Lookin' good, Suzy!!! It's going to be AWESOME!!!

Lisa @ Shine Your Light said...

Don't you love the changes you can make my shopping your own house? I LOVE the coral in there and the pillows totally change up your bed. Thanks for the tips on spraypainting a lamp - I'm off to do that at my mom's today actually! Have a great weekend, Suzy!

Tiffany said...

I love the coral color. It's amazing how little changes can make a huge difference.

Katie said...

I love what a simple makeover it was but makes such a big difference! Can't wait to see the new lamp bases!

alanna rose said...

Looking good!
My master bedroom is also slightly neglected, why is that? Doesn't it seem like we should square our own rooms away first, and then tackle the rest of the house? And yet...I've never "finished" a master before we've moved to the next house. Maybe I should make it a new goal :)

Aubrey {All Things Bright and Beautiful} said...

That is so awesome and really gives me some inspiration to get my booty in gear...especially since I'm supposed to be the Master Bedroom contributor for the second wave of Roomspiration, EEEK!!!! This could be a rough one (c: But yours is looking so cheerful and awesome with just a little bit of tweeking! LOVE it...especially the getting stuff for free (c: