Saturday, March 17, 2012

Pinterest Challenge: Customize a Builder-Grade Vanity

So many projects in my house have been inspired by things I've seen on Pinterest.  Sometimes they turn out well, sometimes not-so-well.

The kids' bathroom has a few Pinterest projects.  It all started when I saw this tiled mirror tutorial:


Here's my version:


Once this project was completed, I didn't like my wall color or vanity with the glass tiles.  So, I searched for gray vanities on Pinterest and found this beautiful version from Ten June:


And here's mine:


My most recent project was adding feet to this vanity.  I was inspired by Centsational Girl's transformation:


I bought bun feet and trim.  I didn't think the bun feet alone would be tall enough to reach from the floor to vanity.  So, I drilled a hole in the trim and screwed the feet into the trim.  Then I cut the trim down so it would fit under the vanity.

I added a couple coats of Martha Stewart's Cement to match the vanity.

And, wedged the feet under the vanity.  They sit so flush with the floor that I didn't glue them in.  If they start moving around, I will just add some wood glue to keep them in place.

Adding the feet to the vanity is not my favorite Pinterest project.  To make it look as great as Centsational Girl's, I would have had to completely remove the vanity and take off the toe-kick plate, build a frame to support the vanity, and add the feet.  Wow...that's a lot of work!  More work than I was up for, so I took the lazy lady's way out and it kind of shows.

Here are a couple other Pinterest projects that I really like.  First up, is the half-striped wall.  The inspiration from The Happy Home:



My version:


I loved the cute artwork from Joe and Cheryl as soon as I saw it and knew that it would look cute in my daughter's room:



Here's my version:


Linked to the Pinterest Challenge at Hi Sugarplum!

Please feel free to pin any of the pictures taken by me to Pinterest. However, if you would like to pin one of the other pics, please go directly to the source and pin from their blog/website.

6 comments:

Cassie {Hi Sugarplum} said...

I love your projects, and I think the vanity looks great! Who wants to mess with hauling it out of the wall?!? :)

Danylle McLain said...

Your projects are great! I love your version of the tiled mirror and the feet on your vanity. I must add feet to my vanity now! :) Thank you for inspiring me today!
~Danylle

Ange said...

Wow, you were on a roll there with the projects! The vanity looks great and I like the mirror too! Great idea, I might be doing that in the kids bathroom. Hope you had a great weekend!

Maury @ Life on Mars said...

Your vanity looks amazing! I'm going to be doing something similar with ours except with pale blue, but I'm definitely adding the legs! That makes such a huge difference!

2 bedroom house plans said...

All is pretty. I think im redesigning my room.

Kathy said...

Your version is way better, Suzy! =) Blue glass tiles are cute too, especially when you put the dark and pale colors together. Also, creating a mosaic theme out of glass tiles can be fun. You can choose different colors to blend with each other. Be imaginative, and play with the colors. Just try to be as creative as possible.

Kathy Carbone