Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Chicken Tortilla Soup

Dinnertime is a very busy time in our house.  We are shuttling the kids to their activities, getting homework done, and, oh yes, sitting down and eating dinner as a family.  That's why I like to cook things ahead of time as much as possible. 

One of my favorite and easiest things to make is "Mexican chicken."  I throw a 3 pound bag of frozen (not even defrosted!) chicken in the crockpot along with a 16-ounce jar of salsa and a packet of taco seasoning.  I let this cook on low all day (probably about 7 hours), then shred it right in the crockpot.

This makes a lot of chicken that can be used in a bunch of different recipes.  I can get about 3 meals out of a three pound bag of chicken.  I use the seasoned chicken to make chicken tacos, enchiladas, and quesadillas; but, tortilla soup is my favorite.


This tortilla soup recipe is based on a recipe shared by my friend Celeste.  It's so easy and flavorful.  I always double this recipe and put half in the freezer.

1.5 (approx.)  cups Mexican chicken (see above)
3 cloves garlic
1 small onion, chopped
4-oz can green chilies
1 16 oz can stewed tomatoes, chopped
1 10-oz can canned tomatoes, chopped
1 can tomato soup
6 cups chicken stock
1 TBS cumin
1 TBS chili powder
1 tsp. pepper
1 TBS lemon pepper
1/4 tsp. tabasco
2 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
1 can corn (frozen works too)
Garnish:
Cheese, shredded
Sour cream
Avocado
Green onions
Tortilla strips - fried or plain
To make homemade tortilla strips: Cut 6-12 corn tortillas into strips. Fry tortilla strips in hot oil till crisp. Drain and sprinkle salt on top.  I don't fry my tortillas.  I just cut strips of corn tortilla and put it in the soup.  They help to thicken the soup.
Simmer garlic, onion and green chilies in oil in large soup pot until onions are tender, about 3 minutes. Add remaining ingredients except seasonings, tortilla strips and corn. Bring to a boil. Add seasonings and simmer 1 hour (most of the time I just throw everything together and then simmer until warm - 1 hour is not necessary).
15 min. before done, add tortilla strips and corn. Serve with garnish of your choice.
Enjoy!
Linked here:

225504.jpg"/>

4 comments:

Lisa @ Shine Your Light said...

Mmmm this sounds so good, Suzy!

Ange said...

What time is dinner? ;) Thanks for a great recipe, I am always loving anything involving crockpots, mexican and italian.

A room with a view said...

We are huge Mexican food lovers but I have not tried anything in the crockpot yet. Sounds wonderful. Thanks, Suzy! Btw, I hope your kids are better.

Kim said...

Oh yea! I have been looking for a good recipe for chicken tacos and this gives me even more! Thank you!
xo