Sunday, July 15, 2012

Coral and Gold Desk

If you follow me on Facebook, you know Big K and I started a little impromptu bedroom redecorating project this weekend.  It's still in progress, so I don't have any additions to the house tour.  But, as soon as everything is put back together, you know I'll have a post for you!

One thing that I can share is my new desk.  I've desperately been seeking my own workspace and I've finally done something about it after being inspired by Carmel over at My Fifth House...use a desk as a bedside table.  Genius!!!

Luckily, I had this guy sitting in my garage just waiting for a makeover.  I picked it up for $10 at a yard sale earlier this summer.
Can you spot Emma back there?  She seems to sneak into every picture.  If I was that cute, I might try to be in more pictures too!

I also had some Krylon spray paint in Coral Isle in the garage that I sprayed the desk with after priming it with Kilz.

I hadn't spray painted something in FOREVER.  I had forgotten how easy it is.  No messy brushes to clean.  No waiting days for paint to dry.

Here's the final result.
I think something is wrong with my camera.  All of my pictures have been super-grainy lately.  I have no idea what is going on.  Do you have any ideas????  I don't know what to do, besides buy a new camera.  This camera used to take great, clear pictures.

My favorite part of the desk is this gold detail.
In the background, you can see my new blue-gray paint...also done this weekend.  It's called Oyster Pearl by the Ace brand Clarke & Kensington.

Over in the corner you can see my "new" file cabinet.  This was a old Target dealio...you know the fake wood pieces that you have to assemble???  I just primed and spray painted it glossy white.  This was my first attempt painting this type of "wood."  It looks pretty good and I think the paint will stick.  I made sure to prime well with Kilz.  Otherwise, I was afraid the material might have been too slick and the paint would have peeled right off.


One last look, just because I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE my new desk/bedside table!  One of my favorite things - it was almost free!  All of the materials I used were found in the garage.  I didn't have to buy anything except for the $10 desk.

Linked to some of my favorite DIY blogs:  Liz Marie, House of Hepworths, My Simple Home Life, Happy Hour Projects,
Elizabeth & Co, DIY Dreamer, Today's Creative Blog, Sugar Bee Crafts, Not Just a Housewife, Reasons to Skip the HouseworkPrimitive and Proper, Home Stories of A to Z, Savvy Southern Style, DIY by Design, Tip Junkie, Type A Decorating, , The Thrifty Home, Domestically Speaking, Primp,
A Diamond in the Stuff, Restore Interiors, The Shabby Chic CottageBeyond the Picket Fence, My Simple Home Life,
Addicted 2 Decorating, Just a Girl, Remodelaholic, Miss Mustard Seed, Finding Fabulous, Tatertots and Jello, Under the Table and Dreaming, Thrifty Decor Chick, Coastal CharmSerenity Now, Get Outta My Head Please, You are Talking Too Much, The Southern Institute  My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia

22 comments:

Pine Tree Home said...

Great color. I've been using lots of spray paint too lately but table tops still are splotchy. What's your trick?

hong kong property said...

gorgeous! and the mirror fits perfectly~

Cassie Bustamante said...

OOOOH i LOVE LVE LOVE!!!!

Homestyling101 said...

Very pretty! I am inspired by your painting of that Target "wood"! I have one of those bookshelves in my son's room and would love to paint it a bright color. I think I am going to try the Kilz + spray combo! Thanks for sharing!

Starr said...

Did you accidentally turn the image stabilization off on the camera? That's my only guess on the grainy photos.

The coral is lovely--that desk is awesome! What a great deal you got!

Tiffany said...

Love the coral! I haven't spray painted furniture before but you make it look easy enough. I'll have to try it.

Laurie said...

Love the coral color! What a fun makeover.

Maury @ Life on Mars said...

Awesome makeover! Love the gold accent against that coral. So pretty!

Lisa @ Shine Your Light said...

Such a pretty color, Suzy! How exciting about your bedroom makeover - can't wait to see what you've done!

Amanda said...

This is just gorgeous!!! love the wall color as well.

Aubrey {All Things Bright and Beautiful} said...

This is absolutely fantastic...I would *happily* call that space my own...I'm a big, *BIG* fan of the coral/gold combo, especially on that cool detailing! Homerun, slugger, homerun!

Terri said...

I had to come check out your "coral" piece after you came by to see my nightstand. LOVE it, not only is the color stunning but the desk itself is darling. Beautiful job!

Allison@FabRehab said...

Knocked out of the park on this!! I love it!!

Kathy said...

Just plain perfect!

Sharon @ Elizabeth & Co. said...

I love that color and the gold detail is really unique!

Crazy Wonderful said...

What a fun color! That gold piece is super cool too :)

Jessamie {Bird and Branch Redesign} said...

Holy crap-ola, girl friend! that desk is so pretty! And $10...are you kidding me right now

Kim said...

love this color! and the gold accent is delish! Keep at it and I can't wait to see your space for your "space"!
Kim@reposhture.blogspot.com

Christine said...

Oh! That color brings that desk back to life! LOVE coral!

Thanks so much for sharing this at The DIY Dreamer.. From Dream To Reality!

Mrs. Handyverger said...

Amazing! Love the gold on the front against the coral paint. I'm also glad to read you were able to paint the file cabinet from Target - I have a few of my own that I need to update. :)

Cathy said...

I just love this colour lately! Great job, it looks fantastic with the gold!

Heidi said...

Great color! What a transformation. I'm hosting a linky party "One Creative Weekend" at OneCreativeMommy.com. I'd love for you to visit and link up this idea and/or anything else you'd like to share.