Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Baby Z's Orange and Gray Nursery

My sister Gina and her husband James are expecting their first baby in February.  Hooray!  We are all so excited to welcome another baby girl to the family.

Gina asked me to help her design the nursery/bedroom.  Gina and James live in New York and space is at a premium in their apartment.  They have a two bedroom, but they plan to have the baby stay in their bedroom and keep the second bedroom as an office/guest room.

Gina told me that she likes white and wanted to use pops of orange as an accent.  Here are some pictures I found to use as inspiration:



We liked this room because it shows both a crib and a bed sharing the same space.  This would be a good layout for Baby Z's room.



I like the shapes the Ikea Maskros light throws on the wall.  They could be interesting for a baby to look at.






We like the simple lines of this gray crib.







After looking at these pictures, here's what I came up with for Gina, James and Baby Z.

Gina is an amazing seamstress.  She attended Parson's School of Design (where they film Project Runway) and has a degree in pattern making from FIT (Fashion Institue of Technology), so she can sew pretty much anything.  I think she is planning on sewing her crib bedding as well as the comforter and pillows for her bed and the curtains.

Like most young couples, Gina and James do not have an unlimited budget.  So, I tried to keep the pieces budget-friendly.  The light, rug, and dressers are all from Ikea.  The dressers can be fancied-up with some O'verlays.  Believe it or not, the crib is actually from Walmart. 

Rather than having a separate changing table, they can put an orange changing pad on top of the long Malm dresser.

The "You are my Sunshine" prints are special because our Grandpa and Mom used to sing this song to us when we were young.

I think they could make the upholstered headboard pictured.  Gina likes the look of the iron bed, but I think an upholstered headboard would be more comfortable for sitting in at night when she will be up feeding the baby.

The butterfly mobile is also something she could DIY.

I had so much fun putting together this room for my sister and James.  If you are interested in any of the sources, just let me know.

6 comments:

DIYbyDesign said...

Awesome inspiration photos and I love the mood board. What an exciting time for your sister.

Aubrey {All Things Bright and Beautiful} said...

Your sister sounds absolutely amazing...I guess it's one of those things that runs in the family! (c: I love the inspiration board...especially the little "You are my sunshine" lyrics and the meaning behind them...so darling!!!

AK said...

I love it. This post makes me want to have a fourth!!! But then we would need a house with a fifth bedroom. I just noticed the "You are my sunshines" did it make you think of you grandfather? Love, K

Holly Gruszka said...

I love what you've pulled together - between the two of you this little one is going to have quite the rockin' space. Your sister is a seamstress??!! Can she teach me a few things?? Our crib is from Walmart as well and I love it - great quality and great price.

Unknown said...

Great board! Love everything you picked out for it. That's one lucky baby and sister of yours!

A room with a view said...

Everything looks great Suzy..pops of orange is a good idea and I do think upholstered headboard is a must especially if they do not have space for a rocker or comfy chair. I used to use the wall behind the bed (no headboard) when I had baby #1 in nyc in a one bedrm - no fun.