Tuesday, October 11, 2011

A Little History Plus a Makeover

Many of you may know that my husband and I got married at the Hotel Jerome in Aspen.

The Hotel Jerome was built in the 1880's when Aspen was at the apex of the silver boom.  The hotel was the height of luxury for the time.  It featured the first electric lights west of the Mississippi River among other luxuries of the time.

Since the hotel has had a long life, it needs constant updating and repair.  So, the hotel holds a garage sale every few years to get rid of its unwanted antiques and to make room for new antiques.

I only was around for one of these legendary garage sales and I knew nothing about restoring furniture.  All I wanted was the latest and greatest from Pottery Barn or Crate and Barrel.  My husband picked up an amazing, huge desk.  Picture carved spiraling columns, gargoyle heads, etc.  Hubs was in love with it.  I thought it was a monstrosity.  So, I made him sell it.

We also picked up a really pretty end table with a gorgeous marble top.  Soon after, I was sick of it and sold it.  I'm kicking myself for getting rid of these beauties!

The only things we have left from the hotel are the two chairs flanking the console table:

And this little table.  This table has sentimental value because I think it was the first piece of furniture my husband and I bought together.

This table has been languishing in the garage.  (By the way, we've cleaned the garage since these pictures were taken.  It's so much more organized and I can actually park my car in there.  Hooray!)

I stripped and stained the top and painted the bottom with a light aqua paint. 

 I think the carved detail all around the bottom is so  unique and interesting.  Too bad I decided to show you the cracked side.  Note to self: turn table around so crack faces back!


 I'm in the process of painting all of the carving gold, but it's taking FOREVER!


 I like this little spiderweb basket of gourds, but I noticed tonight that some of the gourds are starting to get moldy.  This has never happened to me before.
 Not too shabby for a 100+ year old!
Phew!  You stuck around through a major picture overload.  Thank you!


I'm linking this piece to some of these great blogs:
Today's Creative Blog, Sugar Bee Crafts, Not Just a Housewife, Reasons to Skip the Housework, Bella Before and After, Primitive and Proper, Home Stories of A to Z, Savvy Southern Style, DIY by Design, Tip Junkie, Type A Decorating, http://sistersstuff.blogspot.com/, The Thrifty Home, Domestically Speaking, Primp,
A Diamond in the Stuff, Restore Interiors, The Shabby Chic Cottage, Somewhat Simple, Beyond the Picket Fence, Fireflies and Jellybeans,My Simple Home Life,
Addicted 2 Decorating, Just a Girl, Remodelaholic, Miss Mustard Seed, Finding Fabulous, Tatertots and Jello, Under the Table and Dreaming, Thrifty Decor Chick, Coastal Charm, Junker Newbie

14 comments:

Cassie Bustamante said...

i love the details on that piece! so pretty!

Gwen @ The Bold Abode said...

That is the prettiest little table I think I have ever seen! You just can't find details like that on furniture today... It's just beautiful!

Katie @ Wildwood Creek said...

Beautiful makeover on your table! I've also gotten rid of some things I now regret. Styles change, tastes change, it's the thrill of the hunt.

Holly Gruszka said...

Sounds like quite the venue - I love places with some history and charm. This table is great!! I love the mix of the stained wood and the painted wood. Is that mirror new above it? It looks great.

Rosemary@villabarnes said...

I like the details too. Nice color.

A Vintage Vine said...

Incredible! So fun for you to have that table!!! Those chairs are beauties too! The fabric on them, the chevron in perfect!

elizabeth@themustardceiling said...

So pretty. I love the simplicity of the top of the table, and the details of the base. I think the blue-green is a perfect way to accent the detail work, and such a great story.

Hollie @ I'm Busy Procrastinating said...

The base is so pretty! And I'm smitten with the mirror on the wall above it. Gorgeous!

6th Grade said...

suzy, you did it again! love the table and love the way you highlighted the details!

amy

A room with a view said...

A very interesting piece and you know I love anything with a history - the carved legs are certainly unusual and have character. You must be glad you held on to some pieces.

Julia @ 551Eastdesign said...

Suzy I love this table and the story behind it is so sweet. I would love to feature it on my blog tomorrow, let me know if that would be ok!

Jamie said...

Oh my gosh that table is beautiful!!! We stayed at the Hotel Jerome on our honeymoon. My husband and I thought about not coming home and just having all our stuff shipped out to Colorado so we could take up permanent residence!

Katie said...

Suzy this is awesome!! Love how you finished it and love the story! I featured it today!

http://craptastickatie.blogspot.com/2011/10/five-feature-friday-13.html

Kathy Owen, Petticoat Junktion said...

I love what you did with the table. The white base takes it from ho-hum to yum!