Monday, October 10, 2011

She's Crafty

Actually I'm not crafty at all and really don't enjoy crafts.  I am too impatient and thus, my results are never as great as I expect.

But, for some reason fall makes me feel like jumping into the crafty world.  If I can make it with a glue gun, I'll attempt it!

I just had to share this cutie-pie at the pumpkin patch.

The weather was chilly here this weekend.  It was the perfect time to warm myself by the glow of my glue gun as I decided to make a yarn wreath.  I might be the last person in the world to make one of these, but they are so cute, that late is better than never.


Here's what I started with, a straw wreath and some yarn:

Next, start wrapping your yarn around the wreath form (leave the plastic on).  There's really no trick to this.  I would wrap the yarn around about ten times and then shove the yarn all together so none of the wreath from was showing.

Looks like hand modeling is not in my future!  That finger looks creepy.

Stick with the wrapping.  I won't lie....it takes a LONG time.  I used the entire roll (skein?) of gray yarn.

To get the white "X" effect, I took the yarn and wrapped it one way around and pinned it in place.  Then, I wrapped it the opposite way to cross the X's.

Next, comes the fun part.  Decide how you want to decorate the wreath.  I made felt flowers by following this tutorial.

I added a bat and a little "Boo" banner and it's done.


The bat's eyes are just pins.


I used pins to attach everything to the wreath.  Now, I can change out the embellishments for different seasons without having to re-wrap and entire wreath in yarn.  Next up, white, green and red flowers for Christmas.

I'm linking this piece to some of these great blogs:
Today's Creative Blog, Sugar Bee Crafts, Not Just a Housewife, Reasons to Skip the Housework, Bella Before and After, Primitive and Proper, Home Stories of A to Z, Savvy Southern Style, DIY by Design, Tip Junkie, Type A Decorating, http://sistersstuff.blogspot.com/, The Thrifty Home, Domestically Speaking, Primp,
A Diamond in the Stuff, Restore Interiors, The Shabby Chic Cottage, Somewhat Simple, Beyond the Picket Fence, Fireflies and Jellybeans,My Simple Home Life,
Addicted 2 Decorating, Just a Girl, Remodelaholic, Miss Mustard Seed, Finding Fabulous, Tatertots and Jello, Under the Table and Dreaming, Thrifty Decor Chick, Coastal Charm, Junker Newbie, Serenity Now

12 comments:

Holly Gruszka said...

So adorable - your daughter and the wreath!!! You make that wreath look really easy. Estimated, how much time do you think it took total to make?

Katie said...

I love it!! Don't feel bad, I haven't even attempted a yarn wreath yet! Yours turned out great! I especially love the little 'BOO' banner!

Lisa @ Shine Your Light said...

That wreath does look adorable! And when Halloween is over you can take it apart and knit a sweater the next time you're feeling crafty! :)

elizabeth@themustardceiling said...

So cute! I have never tried a yarn wreath either, but I love the way yours turned out and the sweet rosettes on the right side, so cute.

Unknown said...

Yarn wreaths just feel like 'fall' to me. This one is adorable! I love the little bat in the corner.

AK said...

It looks awesome. Wish I was at the patch!

erika @ life unfluffed said...

You need to stop being so talented.

I clicked onto your blog from "Tute"-in Tuesday, thinking "YAY! That is such a cute wreath! I'm going to mooch it"...Then, I clicked over and it was you again!

Ha!

Anyway, super cute. I love it!

Emmy said...

Genius pinning everything! Love it! And who cares if everyone else has made one- you did it and it feels great to create.

Kim@todayismysome-day said...

Looks great! Love the gray. I haven't made a yarn wreath either, so now there are 2 of us :)

Kim
www.todayismysome-day.blogspot.com

A room with a view said...

That's an amazing wreath and such a fun one and you are creative! Thanks for sharing the tutorial!

Michele @ {Primp} said...

This is so cute. I love the yarn texture. I am really wanting to make one of these yarn wreaths now, thanks for sharing!

Jackie said...

I too tend to get impatient when it comes to a lot of crafty ideas. I love your wreath. It turned out great.