Monday, October 24, 2011

Tile Mirror Tutorial


As promised, here's a little tutorial on how I created a tile "frame" for my boring builder's grade mirror.  This project is cheap, easy, and quick (AKA - "the holy trinity" in my decorating book).

Maybe it's the angle, but the tile looks kind of wonky in this super-close up picture. It's not. Trust me, it really is flat and smooth.
This mirror is in my girls' bathroom.  As you can see, this room has been sorely neglected.  It's hard to have motivation to decorate a room that is generally covered in blobs of toothpaste.  I definitely did not want to spend a lot of money on a new mirror.  I considered building a wood frame, but that sounded tricky.

Here's what I started with...not very impressive. 

Here's all you need for materials:
I found this glass tile at Lowe's for about $5/sheet.  I bought 4 sheets.  I used this sealant to adhere the tiles to the mirror.

First, start separating your tiles from the mesh backing.  I did this by cutting the tile into strips and then pulling the tile off of the backing.


Next, take your sealant and add a tiny dot to the back of a tile and stick it right onto the mirror.  Be sure to fit your tiles as close together as possible.  Continue this step millions of times and you'll be finished.  Actually it only took me about 2.5 hours total.







Stay tuned.  I've got a couple more projects in store for this sad space.

Linking up to some of these great blogs:
Today's Creative Blog, Sugar Bee Crafts, Not Just a Housewife, Reasons to Skip the Housework, Bella Before and After, Primitive and Proper, Home Stories of A to Z, Savvy Southern Style, DIY by Design, Tip Junkie, Type A Decorating, http://sistersstuff.blogspot.com/, The Thrifty Home, Domestically Speaking, Primp,
A Diamond in the Stuff, Restore Interiors, The Shabby Chic Cottage, Somewhat Simple, Beyond the Picket Fence, Fireflies and Jellybeans,My Simple Home Life,
Addicted 2 Decorating, Just a Girl, Remodelaholic, Miss Mustard Seed, Finding Fabulous, Tatertots and Jello, Under the Table and Dreaming, Thrifty Decor Chick, Coastal Charm, Junker Newbie, Serenity Now

29 comments:

Ashley@ DesignBuildLove.co said...

your mirror turned out absolutely amazing!!! LOVE the tile you chose too! (I came over via Tip Me Tuesday) One question about yours, did your mirror have a track or little hooks or anything mounting it to the while prior to the tiling?

I did a tiled vanity mirror recently too (http://designbuildlove.co/?p=119) and I couldn't be happier!!!

A room with a view said...

This looks amazing, Suzy! It adds dimension and color interest to the mirror..the girls must love it. Thanks for sharing!

Katie said...

This is amazing!!!What a brilliant idea!

erika @ life unfluffed said...

This is great! I seriously might have to try it out. My bathroom is super "blah" right now. This could be just what it needs...

Thanks for linking up to "Tute"in Tuesday at Oops! I Craft My Pants!

Gwen @ The Bold Abode said...

I have boring builder mirrors in my bathrooms too...what'sup with these contractors...they need some women helpin them... Love your upgrade!

AK said...

Awesome. I love it. We should go camping more often!

Alicia@ eco friendly homemaking said...

Oh it turned out beautifully! What a great job!

A Vintage Vine said...

Looks great...I never thought of this before...The tile went on so well! Those colors are perfect, can't wait to see what else you do!

Unknown said...

I LOVE this! I've seen those sheets of tiles and wanted to do something with them, but wasn't sure I could handle it... you might have given me the confidence to try it! I'm your newest follower - can't wait to look at more of your projects! : )

-Mel the Crafty Scientist

Unknown said...

What an amazing difference! I love glass tiles!

Unknown said...

Holy cow, that really made a difference! I could totally do that - thanks for the tutorial and inspiration!

Tote said...

I love the way you mirror turned out! I might have to try it myself!

Lisa @ Lisa Moves said...

This is a fabulous idea! It turned out great. Filing this one away for future use.

J Thax said...

You made this look so easy! I just might have to try... thanks for the tutorial!

Tammy @ Type A said...

i love this, i'm gonna have to try this in the next house.

Unknown said...

What a fantastic idea...Love it!!! I have the same icky builder grade mirrors in my house...Thanks for sharing!!

colorado tile installation said...

Amazing results. With simple ideas you can make some outstanding output.

Anonymous said...

Hi! I recently saw this post on pinterest and I noticed you posted this a year later. I'm curious how the tiles have held up with the adhesive glue? Thank you!

Bronx Shower Doors said...

Great job! Love the new tile, absolutely gorgeous! Great tips too.

-Bronx Shower Doors
Mirror Installation Bronx

Unknown said...

Thanks for the sharing. Excellent your Tile Warehouse related goods Home Improvements vast Defferent tiles products here tfo in australa.

Unknown said...

Fantastic! I love the design how I wish I can have that for my tv in mirror . I really enjoy reading your blogs . Keep it up!

Unknown said...

This looks like a great DIY Project. I completely love this framed mirror

Angelina Loren said...

Thats tea steel wool thing is amazing. im going to try this ! Please Visit:

Custom Picture Framing Sydney

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Thank you so much for this tutorial! I can't wait to redo my plain boring hanging mirror!!

Hemnil said...

Nice post. I have bookmarked you to check your new stuff. Thanks for sharing this useful information. Its really useful for us Glass Tiles in Bangalore | Handmade Tiles in Bangalore

Marry James said...

These are actually wonderful some ideas in the blog. You have touched good quality points here. In whatever way continue writing.


Mirrors Auckland - Superior Glass Ltd.

elinor smith said...

Oh how I love this. Thanks

Atlanta Tile Installer said...

I appreciate your honesty about the challenges of decorating a well-loved space like a bathroom. Atlanta Tile Installer