Monday, February 27, 2012

Help Me Stencil...Please!?!?

You might remember that I attempted to stencil a wall in my dining room way back before I started blogging.  This is the only picture I have of the stencil fiasco because it was painted over the next day.

I did this wall with a cheapy, little stencil from Hobby Lobby.  It was so hard to do and the results were NOT good.  My husband thinks stencils might not work very well on our walls because they are very textured.

Needless to say, I'm super impressed with all of the bloggers who are able to create beautifully stenciled rooms.  It's not as easy as it looks, or maybe I was just doing something wrong!?!?! 

I've decided I want to give stenciling another try.  Recently I won a giveaway on Simcoe Street for a stencil from Cutting Edge Stencils.  I haven't chosen my stencil, however, because there are so many great options.

 I also don't know where I want to put the stencil.  I'm thinking the wall behind my bed, but the wall is pretty big with a high, vaulted ceiling.  I'm scared!  So, where the stencil will be going is also still an unanswered question.  I think I've been driving my husband crazy with all of my stencil indecision.  That's why I'm turning to you, my blog friends.

Here are some of the stencils I like (all from Cutting Edge).  I'm generally drawn to the simpler, geometric patterns.





I like this gray color scheme (but not necessarily the headboard and bedding).

I'm not usually a damask-type person.  It's just too frilly and flowery for me, but I think this is gorgeous.

This is my husband's favorite. I usually love greek-key on anything, but this seems a little busy.

Do you have a favorite?  Do you have any stencil tips you would be willing to share?

10 comments:

Crazy Wonderful said...

They're all fab, I think I like the second one the best though :) When I stenciled I learned you've really got to make sure the roller isn't too paint heavy. After putting paint on the roller I rolled most of it off on some paper towels before rolling it onto the wall. I also used some painters tape allong the edges to make sure it wouldn't slip on me. Hope that helps some. Can't wait to see which one you choose!

Ivy & Co said...

I love the scalloped one! I'm also a little stencil shy...

Ange said...

I have been MIA but I want to respond to all your emails but thought I'd leave a quick comment. I almost picked the greek key one for my bedroom, I love that one! The harlequin diamond one was also on my list. I will email you later tonight or early tomorrow am. Getting ready for some ladies from MOPS to come over! You can do it! I wish I could come help you!

Holly Gruszka said...

Whoa, blogger comment format is new - did you see that? I'm surprised that choice is your hubby's favorite but I guess it is the more masculine of the choices. I really like the first two choices shown in actual rooms. I really like them all except for the damask and the greek key - I'd go with a simpler stencil as well. I've thought about trying it but I can't commit to it yet. I'll be anxious to see how it goes for you.

Starr said...

Since choosing to stencil is pretty trendy, I'd go bold rather than conservative. The damask and the greek key patterns are my favorites.

Jen said...

It's funny that Ivy loved the scallops - they're my least favorite. :) I like the damask too, but probably not for a master. I love the first one and the diamonds!

Unknown said...

Very interesting and Helpful Tips.....Thanks For Sharing
Day care in Bangalore

Tiffany said...

I either like the second or the fifth. I agree that the greek key looks a little busy. I love the damask also but it looks like geometrics are your faves so I'd stick with those. A good quality stencil will make a difference, and make sure your brush/roller doesn't have a lot of paint on it. I'm working on a stencil in my powder room so I know how you feel. It's a pain, but the look is worth it. Good luck!

Aubrey {All Things Bright and Beautiful} said...

They really have so many fantastic options...I'm definitely a big fan of their geometrics...and that second one is calling to me (c: I can't wait to see a stencil project a la Suzy!!! It's going to be amazing, I have faith in you, dear (c:

A room with a view said...

There are so many options it could make one dizzy. I ordered a couple of different ones - maybe three - and am about to undertake the dining room. Just working on placement. What about behind your console? Go with something simpler like the first one if you are scared. Practice on paper before you attempt the real thing.