Wednesday, February 1, 2012

The One Room Challenge: Week Three: New Furniture and Art

We are into week three of the One Week Challenge!  It's fun to watch everyone's rooms coming together.  In case you missed the previous weeks, I'm transforming my three-year old daughter's room from nursery to big-girl room.  Here are links to Week One (introduction and paint color) and Week Two (upholstered headboard and striped curtains).

This week brought some brand new furniture and a furniture piece that received a makeover.  I knew an Ikea Expedit bookcase would be perfect for the room.  However, the nearest Ikea is more than four hours away.  Luckily for me, my parents were coming to visit.  Before they left Minnesota, they stopped by their local Ikea and picked up a few things for me.  My parents were so sweet to deliver these things and also to help me put them together!

Here's Mary's new bookcase.

I still need to purchase some baskets and fill the shelves.

Next, I went "shopping" out in my garage for a bedside table.  I found this cute little end table waiting for a makeover.  I've had this table for a while, but wasn't sure what to do with it because it's missing a drawer.  I just put this side against the wall in Mary's room and no one knows about the gaping hole.

This table was in near-perfect condition.  I did a very light sanding, sprayed it with my favorite Kilz primer, gave it another light sanding and a few coats of Rustoleum Painter's Touch spray paint in orange.  This is the best spray paint in my opinion.  It covers very well and seems to be more durable than some of the other brands.  I let the paint dry and then sprayed it with several coats of poly.

Here's how the table looks now.


As I was shopping the garage, I also found this lamp.  My husband made this in a highschool woodworking class at least thirty years ago.  I think he's happy that he got to contribute to Mary's room too!
I had already started spraying it with primer when I remembered to snap a before shot.
Some primer and white spray paint, and it looks like a new lamp!


I had a drum shade I purchased a while ago on clearance at Target and some leftover pompom trim that I hotglued onto the shade.

Here's a picture of Mary's dresser.

This was the very first piece of furniture that I painted, just over one year ago.  I didn't know about blogging back then, so I don't have any "before" pictures to share.  It has a distressed white finish and crystal knobs.  I'm not sure if I should keep it as it is or if I should change it.  What do you think???  I was thinking of painting it a bright white semi-gloss or maybe just adding a thin orange line on the detail on the drawer fronts?  Maybe some new hardware?  Maybe I won't do anything?  What are your thoughts?

In other news, I ordered a print from the Pink Pagoda and it arrived this week.  I love this pink and orange elephant!  I placed it in a Ribba frame from Ikea and spray painted the mat to match the bedside table.

This elephant is also the reason that I'm participating in the One Room Challenge.  When I ordered in on Etsy, I mentioned to the seller that I was redoing my daughter's room.   She told me about the challenge and invited me to participate.  I'm continually amazed by the connections we are able to make through the internet and blogging!


Yesterday I posted some fabrics I was considering for pillows.  Check it out here.


Be sure to check out some of the other bloggers to see how their rooms are coming together too.

Dutch.British.Love
Trapped in North Jersey
Nicole Scott Designs
Kim Macumber Interiors
Rue de Emily
The Pink Pagoda
refresheddesigns
Nana Moon Shop
Taylor Morgan Design
Insideways
My Crafty Home Life
House Four
Living Savvy
(A Lifestyle Thing)

Linked here:
Weekend Bloggy Reading

25 comments:

Kim said...

The bedside table in orange is PERFECT!! I so love seeing old pieces get a new life and in what a fun space. And of course, we all love the Pink Pagoda for her wonderful prints. I am trying to figure out where to put one in my home!!

Emily said...

Suzy,

I love the orange table..and the very clever comment about "shopping" in your garage! That made me laugh! Enjoying your whole process and project!!

Kerry Steele- Design du Monde said...

I am loving the orange table and it cracked me up that you put that side toward the wall. I found a cherry drum table in the trash about 5 years ago. The foot was broken and there was no drawer. I fixed the foot, refinished it and turned the empty side to the wall!

Linda {Calling it Home} said...

So that is how you know Jennifer. Her prints are my favorite. OK, table..perfection! Lamp, are you kidding me...you rocked it. As for the thin line of orange, I think that would be super cute. I'm not sure about changing the knobs? Sounds like you just made more room in your garage for "potential projects". Lastly, sorry Ikea is 4 hours away..major bummer!

Tiffany said...

I don't have an Ikea near me either. Sucks!. I love how the side table turned out. I also think your idea of putting a thin orange line would be really cute. Now, on to fabrics....Can't wait to see what you go with.

Lisa @ Shine Your Light said...

Suzy this room is so adorable! I love that you used the lamp your hubby made! I say keep that dresser white and find some orange (and pink?) knobs! World Market, Anthro, ebay all have fun colorful knobs. I love the balance of the white with all the color. Oh one more thing - that elephant print! LOVE!

Nicole said...

Love the Table, what a difference a cheerful coat of paint can make! The only thing I have from my husbands days in shop class is a wooden snake that was supposed to be a Christmas tree ornament (?? boys are weird)....so consider yourself lucky, that lamp rocks!

Unknown said...

That table and lamp are so adorable! Great job on them, and love the orange and pink together. I love the dresser with the crystal knobs as is, but if you want a change, maybe paint inside the scroll detailing with one of your accent colours? Good luck and great progress!

Janet @ House Four said...

Suzy the table came out beautifully! I laughed when I read the part about putting the hole where no one will see it. My husband always tells me I come up with great ideas like that but then tell everyone it's there - we're all the same! lol

I love the idea of leaving the dresser as-is but adding more colourful knobs. Would be really pretty :)

Taylor Morgan said...

Fun! It's looking good! I can't wait to see the outcome of yours and everyone elses rooms! :)

The Pink Pagoda said...

The table and lamp are perfect! And the thin orange outline would be so cute! This room is going to be incredible. Thank you so much for including my elephant print in the room -- I'm honored!

Katie said...

Suzy! This room is turning out amazing! I love all the furniture redos! The orange looked so intense on the bottle, but it looks so cute on the table! And that's so neat that your hubby made the lamp! It's all looking great!

Danylle McLain said...

Your room is really coming together! I am a little behind this week. Love your use of orange!

A Lifestyle Thing said...

Suzy, this room is going to be darling! I can just tell from what you've done so far. Love it all! Love the table redo and the lamp is adorable. Can't wait to see it come together!

Great job!
xx
sharon

6th Grade said...

looking GREAT!

for the white dresser... you could just add orange or pink knobs... or you could freehand orange or pink paint in the detail areas...then paint over it in high gloss white if you hate it!

can't wait to see the full reveal!

Tiffany @ {Living Savvy} said...

Looking good! I am loving the pink and orange!

Clara @ The Charmed Nest said...

Suzy, I love all the orange and pink! Can't wait to see it all finished!

Jennifer Bewerse said...

I got an expedit for my room too! They're just so nice looking :). Turns out we have similar taste in spray paint too because I used that *exact* same color on some picture frames recently! You're totally right, it works beautifully.

I vote you add the orange line on the front of the white dresser. I think that would look really fantastic.

The room is looking amazing!! Nice work!!!

A room with a view said...

Love it all, Suzy...I know I have said it before. I love the strength of the colors - so vibrant and you have done great makeoveres on the table and lamp. The elephant is cute!

Aubrey {All Things Bright and Beautiful} said...

I am always a fan of bold and bright colors...so you know that I am *loving* this bad boy! That little table has got some pretty sexy curves to it, too! *whistle* (c;

Cassie {Hi Sugarplum} said...

That orange is perfect! And paired with hot pink, simply divine!!"

natasha {schue love} said...

Totally pinned the shelf for storage ideas! :)

Debra said...

I love pink and orange together. Your table turned out really cute.

A Lifestyle Thing said...

LOL! It looks like I checked yours out already. I'm really needing to figure out a system for checking off who's fellow 1roomchallenger's blogpost I've read. Add that to my list of things to do! I'll say it one more time though. Your room is going to be darling!

Anonymous said...

There is noticeably a bundle to know about this. I believe you made certain nice points in features also.
9 x 12 Open End Catalog Clasp Ultra Grape Purple Paper Envelope - 100 envelopes per box