Monday, August 1, 2011

Antique Rocking Chair

I got this rocking chair early this summer at a garage sale for $15.  The seller said it was over 100 years old.  Of course, I didn't believe her.  Until I started working on the chair.  The wood just seems extra old and worn...I can't describe it, but it's definitely different than the newer pieces I have worked on.

I didn't prime this piece because I knew I was going to distress it.  This is the first time I didn't prime and everything worked out fine.  I painted her with some oops paint and then sanded her down.  I finished by giving her a coat of stain that I rubbed on and then quickly rubbed off to give a more aged look.  Here's the end result.




Not too bad for a 100-year old!

Linking up to some of these great sites:
Today's Creative Blog, Sugar Bee Crafts, Not Just a Housewife, Reasons to Skip the Housework, Bella Before and After, Primitive and Proper, Home Stories of A to Z, Savvy Southern Style, DIY by Design, Tip Junkie, Type A Decorating, http://sistersstuff.blogspot.com/, The Thrifty Home, Domestically Speaking, Primp,
A Diamond in the Stuff, Restore Interiors, The Shabby Chic Cottage, Somewhat Simple, Beyond the Picket Fence, Fireflies and Jellybeans,My Simple Home Life,
Addicted 2 Decorating, Just a Girl, Remodelaholic, Miss Mustard Seed, Finding Fabulous, Tatertots and Jello, Under the Table and Dreaming, Thrifty Decor Chick, Coastal Charm, Junker Newbie

17 comments:

Jan@southernjunkin' said...

Good lookin'!! Love the color you chose! Visiting from Coastal Charm!

Holly Gruszka said...

Nice job - I love the lived in look. I could see this being used in a nursery with a mix of old and new finds. Throw a pillow or a few stuffed toys on there and you have a really expensive looking piece.

Katie said...

This looks so good Suzy!! I could sit and rock in that chair all day! Love what you did with it!

Unknown said...

Love the new color! So fun to give old things a new life!

Mag said...

it looks great! i love the color

SkinnyMeg said...

Great color and such a pretty chair!

A room with a view said...

Looks great, I like that it still has an aged look reflecting the antique quality.

MJ @ 517 Creations said...

Beautiful! We have a similar chair that came from my husband's grandmother. It is currently sitting in our garage, waiting for me to work up the nerve to paint it. :) Thanks for giving me some inspiration!

Tammy @ Type A said...

so cute! love the rocker. thanks for partying with me!

BluBabesCreate said...

I really like the color! It's suitable for any room in the house. Come see the rocking chair in my son's nursery.

Cassie Bustamante said...

the color is so pretty, but i am drooling over those swanky arms!

Restore and Renew said...

I really like that colour. It looks great! I am a new follower.

Cynthia said...

Very sweet old chair, I love the colour you chose!

Ang @ Taking a Sunday Drive said...

Great job! I love the color!Chairs are so much fun to re-do! Stop by my blog and take a look at my latest chair re-do! Ang

Unknown said...

Wonderful color that you chose! I love old chairs that are made useful again.

I'd love to have you link up with my linky party at The Southern Institute! It's open Monday-Saturday night and I pick a featured blog each week!

http://www.thesoutherninstitute.com/2011/07/creative-me-monday_31.html

Have a great weekend!

Tanya Anurag said...

DIYs are so much fun esp when you can create something as beautiful as that rocker for just $15.

Thanks for linking. The party for this week - Tea Time Thursdays @ Kreative Korner - is on. Hope to see you there with latest posts.
http://tanyaanurag.blogspot.com/2011/08/tea-time-thursdays-2-and-features.html

Unknown said...

I got this rocking chair early this summer at a garage sale for $15. The seller ... ebabychair.blogspot.com