Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Favorite Things in My Town!

Hello! One of my favorite blogs, Centsational Girl, is having a link party called "Favorite Things in My Town."  So, I thought I'd create a little post for you on my favorite things in my little town. 

Most of my life has been spent in a big city, until I moved to my little town of 7,000 five years ago.  If nothing else, small towns have personality and quirks.  One of the quirkiest things about my town are its festivals.  Where else can you celebrate "Mike the Headless Chicken Festival?"  This festival celebrates a chicken that literally lived without a head for 18 months!


We don't have shopping or dining, but we do have a statue commemorating Mike right on Main Street.

My town is also crazy about dinosaurs.  In 1900 the giant brontosaurus named "Sue" that is housed in the Field Museum in Chicago was found right here.  G-r-r-r-eta greets you as you enter town.  For some reason my kids have always called her "Big Chloe."


We also have a yummy little diner called "Munchies," whose mascot is, of course, a dinosaur.



I love the trails around town.  We live right at the base of the Colorado National Monument.  Unlike the Washington Monument and other statue-type monuments, "the monument," as it's known locally, is a huge mesa - perfect for biking and hiking.









We also have world-class mountain biking.  I'm too much of a scaredy cat to be a mountain biker, but I love to run on the trails, most of which are on cliffs overlooking the Colorado River.



I hope you've enjoyed learning about a few of my favorite things in my quirky little town.  I would love to know more about your towns and cities too.  Link up your posts to Centsational Girl's party that starts on Wednesday August 31st.

5 comments:

Aubrey {All Things Bright and Beautiful} said...

This is such a fun idea! I love the Mike the headless chicken story...although I find it slightly disturbing...and my kids would be so excited about the dinos in your town, they might be a little obsessed (c:

Amanda @ Serenity Now said...

Mike the Headless Chicken just cracks me up!! What a great quirky place...so much to do! Visiting from Centsational Girl's Hometown linky. Hope you'll stop by my blog post too. :)

Wendy said...

I love quirkiness. I love even more that the town embraces it and spends money on it. Big cities tend not to have a sense of humor.

Anonymous said...

Love your town - quirkiness is what makes folks remember the small towns they're visited.

Found you on Censational girl - fun post!

Homestyling101 said...

Already a follower but joined the link party at Centsational Girl, too- love the headless chicken- a sense of humor always wins me over!