Monday, August 22, 2011

Books and Movies

I'm back!  Did you miss me?

No, I didn't think so.  Thanks to all of my fabulous guest posters last week!  It was so fun to learn about your favorite things.

We had a great vacation in the mountains, but now we are ready for the whirlwind of back to school.  My oldest two start elementary school on Wednesday and my youngest starts preschool on Thursday.  I am looking forward to getting back on a schedule, which hopefully includes getting the house back in order after a crazy busy summer.

The night before I left on vacation, I attended a Southern-style party and the movie "The Help."




I absolutely loved the book.  Usually this means I won't really like the movie since movies rarely live up to a great book.  This was not the case with "The Help."  The movie was fabulous and I would recommend it to all of you.  Just be sure you bring Kleenex...lots of it.  I was sobbing like a baby.  Kind of embarassing.  Especially since the party and movie were hosted by my boss who I do freelance work for and have  met in real life just twice and most of the other attendees I didn't know.

While on vacation I read "South of Broad" by Pat Conroy.



I really liked his other books including "The Citadel" and "Prince of Tides."  I think Conroy's writing and description is beautiful.  Unfortunately, this book was just so-so.  A lot of it seemed cliched and formulaic.  I did enjoy his description of Charleston, South Carolina.  The city and its historic homes sound gorgeous, as does its seaside location.  I'm ready to hop on a plane and visit.

I'm always looking for books to read?  Do you have any book recommendations for me? 

As for furniture and decorating...they are kind of on a back burner right now.  I have a little chevron piece that I can hopefully share with you later this week.  I have some large pieces to work on...maybe once the kiddos are back in school.

I hope you are enjoying the last days of summer!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Welcome back! Sounds like you had a wonderful vacation and are going to jump right back into the swing of things with a busy week!! Looking forward to seeing more projects from you xo

A room with a view said...

Read The Help but have yet to see the movie. Looks like your vacation was in an idyllic place -would love to do something like that some day.

Holly Gruszka said...

I'm going to see The Help tomorrow with a friend. I guess I'll bring the tissues as I have no idea what it's about and haven't read the book, but looking forward to getting out. I took a break on my chairs too - the armchair is 3/4 of the way done but I just have had other things going on that take priority - and we have vacation soon. Welcome back!

Unknown said...

I'm dying to see the movie - loved that book! I'm reading the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo right now. Charleston is gorgeous - you'd love it!