Monday, August 8, 2011

Rest in Peace Sweet Gracie


We had to put our 11-year old Golden Retriever Gracie to sleep this morning.  She was the sweetest dog you could ever have.  We got her 11-years ago at a difficult time in our lives.  We had just moved to Boulder so I could attend law school.  We were living in a tiny temporary apartment while we were waiting for our house to be built and to top it off, Big K was without a job.  To cheer ourselves up and to get out of the apartment, we decided to go window shopping at the mall. 

While we were there, we saw the tiniest Golden puppy in a pet store.  We weren't planning on getting a second dog (we already had Henry, a 1.5 year old Golden), but we knew we had to bring her home with us.  Gracie immediately brightened up our lives. 

She was always such a good dog, but quite spoiled.  We liked to call her Princess Grace.  She liked to be comfortable and we would find her curled up or splayed out on her back sleeping all over the house.  She didn't like to be hot, and one of her favorite spots was with her face resting on the air conditioning vent.  Henry and I would run together and we tried to take Gracie a bunch of times, but she would just stop after a few blocks and would NOT move.  Running was not for her.  But, how she loved the water.  She could paddle around effortlessly for hours.


Even though she never had puppies, she was a mama dog.  She loved all of our babies so much and we joked that she thought they were her pups.  She would always be right next to the babies watching over them.  She was also a flirt, known as the Prancy Princess.  She would prance right up to strangers and beg to be petted.

We loved her so much.  We never thought we would lose two dogs within the course of a year.  Our hearts are broken.  At least we know that Gracie and Henry are together in Heaven and we know that we will all be able to see eachother again one day.  We also still have Tyler, our dog we got when we lost Henry last year.  He is very sad without his Gracie too.  He keeps walking over and sniffing her bed and then looking out the front door.  We will all miss her sweet spirit.

8 comments:

Cassie Bustamante said...

oh suzy, i am so so sorry. thinking of you and your family.

Zoe said...

So sorry for your loss- You will have lots of good memories of her!

Crazy Wonderful said...

I'm so sorry. I pray that you all heal quickly, but never forget those great memories.

Holly Gruszka said...

I never had a dog growing up but I've gotten to know a few dogs and know how dear they are to their owners and families hearts. Sounds like you and your family have lots of fond memories to remember your pups.

Unknown said...

I'm so sorry. This makes my heart break. My dogs are 11 and 12 and I just can't even imagine life without them.

Mimi said...

I am so sorry for the loss of your sweet dogs. It is very tough to lose such wonderful sweet adoring friends. I lost our golden, George, that was the most wonderful loving sweet laid back dog. He had survived throat cancer and lived to be 13! It took me a very long time but we eventually bought a new puppy. He is the funniest loving life and wide open dog I have ever had! Keeps me laughing!
My thoughts are with you and your family.

Katie @ Wildwood Creek said...

I'm so sorry for your loss of Gracie. Our pets leave us too soon.

K&B by the Sea said...

My heart goes out to you and your family. Gracie was a beautiful dog, and I'm sure you have lots of wonderful memories of your time together.

I've been through what you're going through (losing more than one pet within a year), and it's so hard. Our pets truly are members of our families, and losing them leaves such a big empty space in our homes and our hearts.