Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Dream Home #2: Lisa's Dream Home

I'm so excited to be hosting my first guest post today.  I have Lisa from A Room with A View sharing her Dream Home with us.  Lisa and I began blogging about the same time.  She is one of the most sincere and kind bloggers I have come across and am happy to call her a blog friend.  She is an Interior Designer and is always ready to share some great design tips.  I love her warm and colorful interiors that have a global influence.  She is also crafty and has shared tips on making no-sew pillow covers as well as a stunning chandelier for her daughter's room.  Stop by A Room with A View and say "hi" to Lisa.
**************************************************************************
Hi everyone, I am fairly new to blog land (my blog: A Room with A View) and I am excited to be a part of this fun series on this great blog. Putting it together was a real treat - thank you, Suzy!

When one first chooses a home (be it the first or the fifth) it is usually the exterior one first makes a connection with, that one is drawn to or that one may see some potential in. For those of us who do not have the luxury of building our own home it helps to love what we see on the outside. The exterior sets the tone for the interior - it is curb appeal and a whole lot more.

I have lived in various styles of dwellings - a duplex, townhouse, bungalow, apartment, semi-detached, and now single family home. My dream house would most certainly give a strong sense of what one could expect indoors because of the architecture. It would encompass some (yes, even less would be a dream) or all of these criteria - 
  • Situated someplace where the weather is temperate or even tropical
  • Have a good view
  • Near/by a body of water if not with a pool or koi pond (I love the water!)
  • Well-kept lawn and garden
  • Wrap-around porch, veranda (or any indoor-outdoor space)
  • Eat-in kitchen with access to back porch or patio
  • Good-sized windows and french-style or similar doors which would let the outside in and maximize any amazing views.. a lot of natural light would be amazing
  • Open floor plan
  • Preferably one story. I currently have four floors and it can be exhausting!
  • The size of the house would not matter; nothing too big.
These next few homes capture the general aesthetics I would look for.
Architectural Digest photography Miguel Flores-Vianna

Ideas for Southern Homes: Front Porches
via Southern Living photo Erica George Dines


Architectural Digest photo Roger Davies

undefined
These pictures are good examples of indoor-outdoor spaces (with or without pool) I find most appealing.
Architectural Digest photo Roger Davies

Architectural Digest photo Roger Davies

So relaxing - all I need is a good book!
 
Banyan Tree Hotel, Seychelles via Architectural Digest photo Erhard Pfeiffer

Great for entertaining.
Architectural Digest photography Miguel-Flores Vianna

That tropical feel
Elle Decor photo Simon Upton

Breathtaking!
 
Cotton House, Mustique via Architectural Digest photo Dan Forer

Elle Decor photo William Waldron

Architectural Digest photo Erhard Pfeiffer

These next pictures capture the essence of how I would like my dream house to feel in terms of open flow, great windows and doors letting in natural light while taking advantage of the beautiful outdoors,  airy, warm and inviting, great for cooking, entertaining and relaxing in. Feast your eyes..
Architectural Digest Photography Miguel Flores-Vianna

Architectural Digest photo Erhard Pfeiffer

House & Home photo Michael Graydon

via Coastal Living photo Jean-Philippe Piter


Architectural Digest photo Erhard Pfeiffer

Architectural Digest photography Reto Guntli

white kitchen with French doors and a painted floor

Old World Kitchen

Architectural Digest photo Roger Davies
via Elle Decor photo Eric Piasecki

Elle Decor photo Simon Upton

via Elle Decor photo Pieter Estersohn

House & Home photo Angus McRitchie

I just had to add this pic for the natural light, although I was drawn to the decor and colors (that would be an entirely different post!)
Architectural Digest photo Roger Davies

Beautiful, manageable garden
House & Home photo Angus McRitchie

House & Home photo Ted  Yarwood

Incredible views.......
Architectural Digest photo David O. Marlow


These pics have been mostly of big homes. My dream house does not have to be big - just pretty, comfortable and functional. This is the place where family and friends, near and far - should always feel welcome. When a house has good bones, there is no limit to what one can do with the decor.
I hope you have enjoyed touring these magnificent places. Thank you so much, Suzy, for allowing me to share a dream!

11 comments:

Meghan @ Wishful Thinking said...

Oh wow wow wow! Everything you listed would be part of my dream house! I love how all the images you chose are based on an outdoor-sy lifestyle with heaps of natural light and colour! I am head-over-heels in love with the Cotton House image!

rachel @ Just a Touch of Gray said...

Beautiful images!! I love Lisa's dream home! Gosh to have a great view like any of those...

Prudently Painted Vintage said...

Il take any one of those views. Love! You have great taste :)

A room with a view said...

Suzy, thank you for allowing me to indulge - it will be good to revisit these pics during the next dreary NY winter!

Anonymous said...

Love, love, love! Gorgeous pics...my dream home would be near a body of water as well with gorgeous views and a big 'ol kitchen!

Aubrey {All Things Bright and Beautiful} said...

Man, I really feel like I need a vacation now...all those gorgeous spaces had such a lovely beachy vibe! I'm totally down for living in any one of those beautiful spaces...heck, I'd even live in one of those bathrooms! (c:

Holly Gruszka said...

I'm such a four seasons girl, but looking at these tropical/warm climate homes makes me think I could handle living in one year round that's for sure! I would love to have a kitchen or living room where you could just leave the door open for fresh air.

Kelly @ View along the way said...

Gorgeous! I'd take any of them. :)

A Sunny Yellow Window said...

Lovely series of images Lisa! My, this gets me thinking of my dream home..

Sandra Ludwig said...

Must resist looking at houses... not resisting well. I'm not surprised that you have this as your dream home. It looks fantastic! And once you have it, maintaining both the exterior and interior of that house will be fun.

Anonymous said...

It's nice to have holidays at cotton house mustique. It's so gorgeous.